Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bloody mobo's :)

I must have been reincarnated because I'm living the life of Riley.

Default Re: Bloody mobo's :)

That moment when you go astern and nothing happens, so you give it a load of welly in astern and the damn boat accelerates ahead

Been there, done that, fortunately without the consequences or insurance claims. Well done them for getting the anchor down and not demolishing the floating restaurant.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Emergency engine stop buttons?...

W.

Will these people ever learn to turn their phone to landscape mode

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Emergency engine stop buttons?...

W.
    Maybe that's what they used when they couldn't find reverse, but it wouldn't be enough to stop them when they're expecting to be able to put the brakes on with a dose of astern. In sensible conditions, I go into neutral a boat length or more before I get to my mooring going into wind and or tide. Something like that would go a fair bit further.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    Maybe that's what they used when they couldn't find reverse, but it wouldn't be enough to stop them when they're expecting to be able to put the brakes on with a dose of astern. In sensible conditions, I go into neutral a boat length or more before I get to my mooring going into wind and or tide. Something like that would go a fair bit further.
    Indeed, it was both meant as a question as to if they had them or used them early enough.

AIso I was taught to alway test you can stop before having nowhere to go, again they may well have and there was still a failure. Likewise never approach anything hard faster than you want to hit it

W.
    Last edited by PilotWolf; 13-08-19 at 00:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy_S View Post
    Will these people ever learn to turn their phone to landscape mode
    +1, worst video ever!
    FUCTIFANO

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    +1, worst video ever!
    Difficult to tell but looks like he is thrusting the bow, although not sure the right way - wonder if it was better to hit head on or at a slight angle? Maybe going slightly sideways would slow it down quicker.

Good job getting the anchors away, I wouldn't have like to be by the windlass!

W.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Indeed, it was both meant as a question as to if they had them or used them early enough.

AIso I was taught to alway test you can stop before having nowhere to go, again they may well have and there was still a failure. Likewise never approach anything hard faster

W.
    I learned the hard way to check I've got forward & astern gears. Fortunately I was going alongside a long pontoon with nothing close ahead, so no damage to anything but my pride, and a useful lesson learned. Unfortunately for a few ships over the years, failures don't always to occur at convenient times, as any trawl of ship fails on Youtube will demonstrate.

As for never approaching anything faster than you want to hit it, it's a nice idea, but assumes a complete absence of wind or tide. Also, mobos of all sizes have tiny rudders compared to yachts - if they have them at all, so simply don't steer when the prop isn't turning.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    As for never approaching anything faster than you want to hit it, it's a nice idea, but assumes a complete absence of wind or tide. Also, mobos of all sizes have tiny rudders compared to yachts - if they have them at all, so simply don't steer when the prop isn't turning.
    I understand it's an ideal situation but usually it is possible to set up an approach not to come in hot and have to go hard astern to avoid hitting things. We do have a situation in my company where when the wind is from a certain direction it blows the boats off the dock very quickly and if there is a boat on the down wind dock you're going to get blown onto it unless you can rapidly get a line ashore or get out and have another go, so the technique is to come in fast, get alongside the dock and stay there whilst stopping very quick not to hit the quayside whilst hopefully your crew can get a line ashore to use as a spring if not it's hard astern back into the channel and try again. Those days are the ones when you hope your crew is one of the more experienced...

W.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast