Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Default Re: XR Pirates in Falmouth!

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    Then you would have been prosecuted.

- W
    Bound over, a bit of community service maybe, so what?
    Anyway I would have had a good legal argument, self defence...whispering black-clad strangers, secretly boarding my yacht in the small hours? I happened to be sharpening my antique seal harpoon, (an appropriate weapon, on reflection) and I was in fear of my life, your worship.
    It would have made the local news..and sent a message to these delusional, fanatical cult-followers that their self-righteous antics might bite them on the backside if pushed too far..

Except it's not a political movement, is it?

- W
    The lady doth protest too much

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    There is clearly some competition for Gammon of the Week going on here.
    What does being a gammon entail? I might be interested, but am unfamiliar with the criteria for eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    .whispering black-clad strangers, secretly boarding my yacht in the small hours? I happened to be sharpening my antique seal harpoon, (an appropriate weapon, on reflection) and I was in fear of my life, your worship.
    Yes, but this court still takes shooting UK Border Force operatives seriously Mr. Washer.

Ten years.

- W

Quote Originally Posted by KevO View Post
    https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...llion-protest/

Arrived on my boat on Sat afternoon to find someone had been aboard on the Friday night and attached a pink Extinction Rebellion flag to my back stay. They had to get aboard to place it. Whatever the motivation, anybody boarding my boat in the middle of the night without my permission is well out of order. If I had been sleeping below they would have gone over the side!
    My guess is that this was one of your "friends" trying to tell you something about the state of your boat.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Except it's not a political movement, is it?

As it is, I simply don't believe him.

- W
    Well there's no reason not to for reasons I described earlier and I'd sure as hell like to know what it is then, it's not a charity looking after orphans, puppies, donkeys and high salary managers, not flogging funeral insurance ( though maybe a mention of this to flag bearing members clambering on other peoples' boats at night may be an idea ) it's not a military force - yet - and seeks to put its views across attaching signals suggesting people agree whether they do or not; seems pretty political to me.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Ok, here's an offer. Tomorrow (Friday 16th August) 18:30 I'll be in the bar at the RCYC at Greenbank. Free pint to anyone who pops in and claims first hand knowledge of damage from XR. I'll be wearing a pink tie. Bet nobody does...
    Unfortunately the sporting of gentleman's XR neckwear is cancelled or postponed tonight for the same reason as our fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Unfortunately the sporting of gentleman's XR neckwear is cancelled or postponed tonight for the same reason as our fireworks.
    What, danger of being blown into orbit, invisible to sensible people or a damp squib ? To be fair jdc didn't actually say he'd have the pink tie round his neck
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    What, danger of being blown into orbit, invisible to sensible people or a damp squib ? ...
    https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...rks-postponed/

Quote Originally Posted by DFL1010 View Post
    Not going to name names on a public forum: it's not my place to do so.

I do dislike being accused of lying, and I dislike more the concept that I'm presumed guilty and have to prove my innnocence. However, that's the internet for you. And, as I say, if I were to post an image of damage, then I'd no doubt be asked to prove that that damage was caused by this action: a pretty hard task.
    So, believe me, don't believe me; fill your boots.

That said, I return to my original question: what should the reply to those whose boats were damaged be? 'Terribly sorry, but for the greater good and all that'? That's fine I guess. 'Terribly sorry, shouldn't have happened, how can we sort it out'? OK, but tricky for a decentralised organisation like XR. 'Tough'? Well, at least it's a position I suppose.

And, since you didn't ask, a friend of mine did contact XR about the damage he had. Their response was quite disappointing: almost politician levels of words without substance. It more or less amounted to 'sorry to hear that, but since we're not an organisation proper we don't control what people do in our name'.

C'est la vie.
    What was the damage? You can tell us that without breaking any confidences.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast