Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: XR Pirates in Falmouth!

Quote Originally Posted by steve1963 View Post
    Well then why did you not make this clear in your original post? You simply said "I'm local and have spoken to several boatowners." Why should anyone take this as 'evidence'? There are some (see some of the idiotic posts by others on this thread for example) for whom it would be very convenient if there was 'damage caused'. For this reason we have to be very careful with what we accept as evidence
    So just to clarify you now accept my statement as truthful?

And, if we want to play silly games, you decided to doubt my statement, based on, err, no evidence whatsoever, yet have the 'courtesy' to explain to me that we have to be very careful with what we accept as evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    XR think without action the human race faces complete or significant "extinction". Sadly looking at the evidence I fear they are right. The minor damage that might or might not happen during a high spirited protest is nothing much either way in the face of that.

Lets hope there is intelligent life out there, 'cause there is b**er down here on earth
    Surely if we were to accept this argument, we could excuse pretty much any action since would be minor compared to the extinction of the human race?

Quote Originally Posted by DFL1010 View Post
    Surely if we were to accept this argument, we could excuse pretty much any action since would be minor compared to the extinction of the human race?
    Hardly applies to a gallant and good humoured attempt to prevent such extinction. After all if the fireman should dampen your carpet in error in stopping your house burning down in a serious blaze you would be thought petty and curmudgeonly to complain too much - you might, but others would think you a fool.

As i said in another post I expect human activity in cutting down rain forests to cause the desertification of much of africa and much of south america, and it wont be just the africans and south americans who suffer from the resulting famine and wars. And that might be the least of it

So any inconvenience that does not starve or kill people is well worth considering. I certainly want to look beyond my lifetime and into my grandchildrens.
    A boat is for going places

Thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Hardly applies to a gallant and good humoured attempt to prevent such extinction. After all if the fireman should dampen your carpet in error in stopping your house burning down in a serious blaze you would be thought petty and curmudgeonly to complain too much - you might, but others would think you a fool.
    A fairly inapt example. There is a clear causal link between dampening a carpet and fighting a fire; the link between putting pink flags on boats and XR's goals is less clear.

As i said in another post I expect human activity in cutting down rain forests to cause the desertification of much of africa and much of south america, and it wont be just the africans and south americans who suffer from the resulting famine and wars. And that might be the least of it
    Certainly true, but I'm struggling to see the connection.

So any inconvenience that does not starve or kill people is well worth considering. I certainly want to look beyond my lifetime and into my grandchildrens.
    Why stop short of killing or starving people? No, I'm not being facetious (nor am I suggesting that they do this!). Most anything is preferable to what they are arguing is the outcome of continuing as we are.

I should say, since apparently it's not clear, I fully sympathise with their cause, and as very much a Guardian reader, agree that we're in interesting times. However, I must confess to being bemused as to how this stunt in Falmouth has any bearing on, well, anything. Sailors are by and large a fairly green lot. The timing of when they were put up (the night of the Pink Wig event in Falmouth Week) certainly meant many thought that it was related to that, rather than XR. And, it must be said that highlighting a problem is not especially useful if there is an absence of realistic solutions presented.

I'm local and have spoken to several boatowners.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    Iím local and Iíve not heard of anything. Iíve spoken to many and no reports Iíve hesrd of. Whoís boat was damaged?

A fairly inapt example. There is a clear causal link between dampening a carpet and fighting a fire; the link between putting pink flags on boats and XR's goals is less clear.

Certainly true, but I'm struggling to see the connection.

Why stop short of killing or starving people? No, I'm not being facetious (nor am I suggesting that they do this!). Most anything is preferable to what they are arguing is the outcome of continuing as we are.

I should say, since apparently it's not clear, I fully sympathise with their cause, and as very much a Guardian reader, agree that we're in interesting times. However, I must confess to being bemused as to how this stunt in Falmouth has any bearing on, well, anything. Sailors are by and large a fairly green lot. The timing of when they were put up (the night of the Pink Wig event in Falmouth Week) certainly meant many thought that it was related to that, rather than XR. And, it must be said that highlighting a problem is not especially useful if there is an absence of realistic solutions presented.
    You may be right in principle, but chastising despairing activists who were merely intrusive and guache seems pointless. However there are solutions to the real issue or at least harm reduction strategies and this is what all lovers of our planet should focus on - even sailors : planting a billion trees, reducing our consumption of beef, looking at whole-life carbon cost (ie dont just dump on 3rd world), refusing to buy endangered forest wood etc
    A boat is for going places

So just to clarify you now accept my statement as truthful?

And, if we want to play silly games, you decided to doubt my statement, based on, err, no evidence whatsoever, yet have the 'courtesy' to explain to me that we have to be very careful with what we accept as evidence.
    No, actually I am very dubious of your statement, due to the fact that you did not say that you actually 'saw' damage in your original post. This is rather too suspicious for me. Given the allegations, the burden of proof should be high. Say, photos for example

Photos of what exactly? If I put up a photo of damage, then you'll just reply saying that that could have been caused by anything and it doesn't prove anything.

You've convinced yourself that it didn't happen therefore any evidence to the contrary will be ignored. I bet you've got some interesting theories about what really happened during Apollo 11, and you know exactly who the second shooter on the grassy knoll was.

Photos of what exactly? If I put up a photo of damage, then you'll just reply saying that that could have been caused by anything and it doesn't prove anything.

You've convinced yourself that it didn't happen therefore any evidence to the contrary will be ignored. I bet you've got some interesting theories about what really happened during Apollo 11, and you know exactly who the second shooter on the grassy knoll was.
    I haven't convinced myself of anything. It's just that I am not going to be convinced by someone who seems that I should just accept his word 'because I say so'. As for implying that I am sort of conspiracy theorist, just because I cannot accept your rather unconvincing arguments, well, that's just a bit desperate isn't it, and implies that you have rather lost the plot.
    I won't respond to any further posts, as this is just a waste of both of our time, and I have work to do.

Cheers

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast