Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Brexit and VAT status - flotilla from UK

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Of course the fast motorboat owners could arrange to be in both Calais and Dover at midnight on 1st November ...
    Just how fast are these "fast motorboats"?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    If a motorboat has a journey of 20 nautical miles to complete, and does the first 10 nautical miles at an average speed of 10 knots - How fast does it need to travel the remaining 10 nautical miles to have an average speed of 20 knots for the entire journey? ... The motorboat needs to be that fast
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    22knots?
    Midnight Calais time is 11pm Dover time?

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    22knots?
    Midnight Calais time is 11pm Dover time?
    Good point, it would be possible to be in France at midnight on Brexit day, and then in the UK at midnight on Brexit day too ... lol
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Of course the fast motorboat owners could arrange to be in both Calais and Dover at midnight on 1st November ...
    I leave a keel in Holyhead, bring the rest of the boat to Dublin...

Quote Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
    Good point, it would be possible to be in France at midnight on Brexit day, and then in the UK at midnight on Brexit day too ... lol
    Only problem is the day we leave we leave at 23.00hrs UK time

I suppose if you had AIS and you could straddle the boundary of UK and French waters @ 23.00hrs would that count

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    This is a subject that is of interest to me, as I plan on going cruising in a year or two's time.

The VAT on my boat was paid in the Azores (EU) on route from Antigua to the UK, so currently it has EU Vat-paid status.

Since then, it has lived in the UK (for 8 years), however as the UK is currently part of the EU, I assume that it has not left the EU in that time.

I guess the question is, will my boat have to be in the EU on 30th/31st to remain EU Vat-paid, or will it be deemed that it is (as the VAT was actually paid in the EU), with the "2 years outside the EU" clock ticking from 1st November?
    Ask Mountain. He says everything will be clear by October 31....

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    Only problem is the day we leave we leave at 23.00hrs UK time

I suppose if you had AIS and you could straddle the boundary of UK and French waters @ 23.00hrs would that count
    I fancy using Strangford Lough. It would be quite feasible to anchor in the middle with half the boat in the U.K. (NI) and half in Eire at the witching hour.

Not sure any of this debate is going to help anyone and until the dust settles after B day no one will know.
    Under EU legislation a boat is deemed a "Mode of Transport" (I believe that is the term), just like a car or motorcycle or truck. Similar legislation applies to both boats and road vehicles when it comes to matriculation and movement within the EU.
    There will likely be thousands of road vehicles in the "wrong" country on the day of our exit. Just like there will be thousands of boats in the "wrong" port.
    Would the same rules not be applied to all MOTs? If they are its going to get very messy for some people and companies.

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Not sure any of this debate is going to help anyone and until the dust settles after B day no one will know.
    Under EU legislation a boat is deemed a "Mode of Transport" (I believe that is the term), just like a car or motorcycle or truck. Similar legislation applies to both boats and road vehicles when it comes to matriculation and movement within the EU.
    There will likely be thousands of road vehicles in the "wrong" country on the day of our exit. Just like there will be thousands of boats in the "wrong" port.
    Would the same rules not be applied to all MOTs? If they are its going to get very messy for some people and companies.
    Aircrafts - to name a pricey category - and bigger boats than the 30' AWB too... Besides, no one knows the exact B-day, 5 minutes before they can arrange another week extension and your well planned trip to Cherbourg with the holiday arranged with your boss is busted for nothing.

I only hope, that logic prevails and vehicles/"MOTs" will get the same 3 years absence allowance as any EU vessel leaving the EU VAT area temporarily.
    Last edited by GTom; 18-08-19 at 22:19.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast