Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lightweight 10hp 2 strokes

After a fair bit of thought I'm in the market for a secondhand 2 stroke for my tender.
    The best fir for me needs seems to be the Tohatsu 9.8, which at 26kg packs a lot of power for modest weight.
    Unfortunately I can't currently find a short shaft version for sale anywhere.

I've read that the same engine was at some point sold under different makers' badges- possibly Mercury and/or Mariner? Clearly though this was only in certain model years, since I've also found Mercury/Mariner 10hp engines for sale that are much heavier and presumably derated 15hp units.

Another curious possibility is the Parsun engine, it seems suspiciously similar to the Tohatsu, right down to the same advertised weight. I would probably have to buy a brand new one though, which entails a trip to the Channel Islands. Convenience of being brand new vs a bit of an unknown quantity and the hassle of actually getting hold of one...
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Default Re: Lightweight 10hp 2 strokes

You can buy them new.

We have three that we use commercially.

over a 10 year period, good simple engines.

I have the Tohatsu 9.8 2str, and as you suspect, it is an excellent motor, unbeatable power to weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    You can buy them new.
    Only if you will be using it commercially, and can provide evidence of that.

A mate of mine bought a 50hp 2-stroke that way a couple of years ago (may have been somewhat dual-use ) and the company paperwork had to be forwarded to Tohatsu UK before the dealer would release the engine. I'm sure they don't personally care, but they have to have something on file to protect themselves by showing they made reasonable efforts not to breach the RCD.

Pete

So you create a company, “The Tuna Pete Fish Experience”. It just happens to be an incredibly unsuccessful fishing charter business.

I'm aware of various means to buying a new 2 stroke, some of them more legitimate than others, but tbh a brand new Tohatsu at £1700 is a bit over budget. Even the Parsun at £1000 is a fair chunk, but worth considering if it is actually a good motor (jury seems to be out on that one).

What I was really trying to find out was how to broader my search to include the Tohatsu clones that were apparently produced under different badges.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Im not 100% but I think the 9.8 was kept by tohatsu as their own little gem. They did build for mercury but i dont think that engine was one of them. Not had first hand experience of parsun but things I've read are they are a poor quality Chinese rip off of another engine, often yamaha but possibly other makes too.
    I'd rather a few years old tohatsu than a new parsun
    I think maynebrace in the channel islands were selling new tohatsu 2 strokes

Tohatsu / Mercury are the real thing, Parsun are not.

The Tohatsu range of two stroke engines are also sold under the Nissan badge. You dont see Nissan engines in the UK but they are sold elsewhere such as the Caribbean

Been running a Parsun 9.8hp 2 stroke for 2 years now, very impressed and over the moon with it, no problems at all, quiet and powerful and performs better than my mariner 10hp 4 stroke it replaced and the weight saving is night and day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast