Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ID Stern Glands

Default ID Stern Glands

Stern_Glands.jpg

I am in the closing stages of purchasing my next boat a 2002 Princess 45 - I generally understand the types of stern glands fitted but wondered whom manufactures the ones shown?

I guess the link rod will ground the shaft, I assume using brushes against the shaft but the blue tube is not convoluted, like on my old PSS shaft seals so I wondered how these are burped/adjusted/work.

Also what the black collar is on each shaft, between gear box drive and seal. Some form of emergency seal?

Anyway any advice/comments welcome - should have re-sized the image I know, sorry!
    PRINCESS 45

Default Re: ID Stern Glands

These are lip seals, they don't rely on lateral compression to work. Same as your crankshaft oil seals and water pump seals.

The black housing on the shaft holds a spare seal so you can out the seal if it starts leaking.

https://www.shaft-seals.co.uk/produc...l-only-metric/
    Last edited by Machaseo; 12-08-19 at 18:26. Reason: Link added
    Regards, Barry

1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (336.2 KB, 0 views)
    PRINCESS 45

They are Tides shaft seals, ( princess may call them something else ) black thing is indeed a spare seal and they shouldn't need burping as they are water fed from raw water circuit. Had them changed on our P42 in 2017 when we had cutlass bearings done and they were fine, ( possibly done 12 years ). There should be a red plastic gadget on the boat somewhere to help swap over in emergency. The 45 like the 42 is a great boat .

Thanks chaps, that makes perfect sense - I thought I had seen them before, will check-out Tides. I had an F43 which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I really like the P45, few concerns about the Cat 3126's, would probably have preferred Volvo's if I am honest, but I am in contact with Finning and will take oil samples on Friday.... Many thanks.
    PRINCESS 45

Tides Marine Seals

After about 7 years they should be dismantled and inspected and new seal fitted.

Annually you should check the water flow to the seal from the engine at tick over look for about 4 to 5 litres per minute, if less investigate. They can and do block with calcium build up or scabs of calcium blocking supply line as fittings are small id.

I knew I had seen them before but I could not for the life of me remember where - thats great. I like the fact Princess install ball valves on the water feed lines, so it should be an easy task to check flow rate - I was intending to Ryde Lyme the HX/engines if I had any temp problems. I am not confident the former owner may have been dilligent in changing the numerous anodes found on the Cat engines, I have not seen service history yet, hope I'm wrong, so this will be first on the check list....
    PRINCESS 45

Rydlyme or not I still advise you prove the flow from engine to stern seal.

I had a blockage and cooked one of mine very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by John100156 View Post
    I knew I had seen them before but I could not for the life of me remember where - thats great. I like the fact Princess install ball valves on the water feed lines, so it should be an easy task to check flow rate - I was intending to Ryde Lyme the HX/engines if I had any temp problems. I am not confident the former owner may have been dilligent in changing the numerous anodes found on the Cat engines, I have not seen service history yet, hope I'm wrong, so this will be first on the check list....
    As others have said - Tides Marine, John.
    You have seen them before on Jennywren.

In our case, there are two black collars on the shafts, each containing a spare seal.
    We were out in the islands one year and our starboard seal started leaking badly.
    I read the Tides manual but decided that it would be best to get someone who knew how to replace the seals so we popped in to Portals where Princess are based.
    We were only 3 miles away anyway and I thought it would be a good idea to be close to a travel hoist in case anything went wrong.
    I watched the engineer change the seal whilst JW was still in the water.
    It is a reasonably safe operation but our seals are an older design than the current models.
    Our seals have small nut inserts with allen keyed bolts that you have to remove before changing the seals.
    And one of ours had corroded so needed to be drilled out.
    Anyway, the actual process of cutting the old seal off and sliding one of the new seals from its container on the shaft worked well.
    Lots of water rushing in, of course, which doesn't completely stop until you have tightened the nuts and bolts again.

Later that year, I bought some new seals and a completely new Tides seal assembly to keep as a spare.
    This is why I know that my old ones are different to the current design.

As you know, we had to remove our port shaft (the other one) last winter.
    That seal was showing some wear so I used the new one that I was keeping to replace the starboard seal.
    So next winter, I will be buying another new shaft seal and replacing the starboard one which still has only one spare seal on its shaft.

FYI, Angel Cornet is the man for this kind of work here in Sant Carles.
    Anything to do with underwater engineering - his guys are good.
    I wouldn't want to remove a shaft on my own - his guys are doing that kind of stuff all the time on the fishing boats here in the main port.
    For example they pulled my starboard shaft including removing the gearbox flange within an hour or two.

Plug for Tides Marine.
    I am in inquisitive kind of person so when I received the spare seal from Tides, I took it apart to see how it works.
    And I didn't put it back together properly - there is a small disc that needs to locate before you replace (the now new design's) self tapping screws.
    Angel's engineers knew that something was wrong but quite a lot was getting lost in Spanish/English translation.
    So they took a short video of the problem.
    I sent the video to Tides who immediately phoned me back with the solution.
    Great support for a small but crucial component of the boat.

In your cast, I would expect the seals to be the older design so it would be a good idea to check that the allen key bolts are free to move/remove.
    A quick turn with an allen key to ensure that it is free is all the is necessary.
    All of mine except one were good.

BTW Tides have a special Princess kit which (if IIRC) incorporated the mounting for the galvanic brushes.
    So if you are replacing the seals at any time in the future, it is well worth a phone call to Tides in the UK who will help you get the correct replacement.

Thanks Mike that's excellent advice and much appreciated - I hope to move the boat over to the dry for a month around w/c 2 September, I emailed Angel yesterday as I wanted him to take some engine oil samples if he has an engineer available on Friday, so I hope to speak to him soon so can raise this. It would make a lot of sense to remove the shafts for inspection and to fit new seals plus a spare whilst on the dry...!
    PRINCESS 45

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast