Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ID Stern Glands

Default Re: ID Stern Glands

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Rydlyme or not I still advise you prove the flow from engine to stern seal.

I had a blockage and cooked one of mine very quickly.
    Totally understood - that's precisely what I intended to do... just a comment that it was nice to see valves fitted. Many thanks.
    PRINCESS 45

Quote Originally Posted by John100156 View Post
    Thanks Mike that's excellent advice and much appreciated - I hope to move the boat over to the dry for a month around w/c 2 September, I emailed Angel yesterday as I wanted him to take some engine oil samples if he has an engineer available on Friday, so I hope to speak to him soon so can raise this. It would make a lot of sense to remove the shafts for inspection and to fit new seals plus a spare whilst on the dry...!
    If you talk to Tides, they will probably say leave the shaft seals.
    They always seem very comfortable about their seals.
    I was thinking of changing the starboard one - just because the port one had gone.
    Theur advice was to leave it - don't mend something that isn't broken.

So, maybe get some spare shaft assemblies and change them if required - as you know lift and block off here isn't expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by John100156 View Post
    Thanks Mike that's excellent advice and much appreciated - I hope to move the boat over to the dry for a month around w/c 2 September, I emailed Angel yesterday as I wanted him to take some engine oil samples if he has an engineer available on Friday, so I hope to speak to him soon so can raise this. It would make a lot of sense to remove the shafts for inspection and to fit new seals plus a spare whilst on the dry...!
    Granny egg sucking time make sure the oil is used before sampling?

Yes indeed - done this on several boats but good for others to note/consider so thanks for your comment!

Not sure when the oil was last changed I will be enquiring when I get service history, but will run the oil up to temp before taking a sample - usual precautions.

I believe for 3126 Cat insist on specific engine oil (or the Taurus equivalent) which is a shame, I like Shell Rimula R4X...!
    PRINCESS 45

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    If you talk to Tides, they will probably say leave the shaft seals.
    Their advice was to leave it - don't mend something that isn't broken.

So, maybe get some spare shaft assemblies and change them if required - as you know lift and block off here isn't expensive.
    Noted makes sense. Agree MDL have always been very sensible regarding cost of boatyard services in SCM. It's my intention to spend a week out there early Sept., then take her over to the boatyard for a month, so should have time to pull the shafts and fit new shaft assemblies - I will give Tides a call next week if all goes well.
    PRINCESS 45

The boat is new to you, good stern seals are essential, when you buy a boat is worthwhile removing props and pulling shafts back and removing the TM seals and inspecting them carefully, I saw a pair last week that were not leaking and not very old but on close inspection when disassembled had a couple of cracks in each, it looked like they bolts securing thew face on had been over tightened. They were replaced, before you remove boat from water check cooling flow to then and when the props are refitted ensure they are lapped and new tab washers fitted ( most manufacturers dont lap props) .

Also check cutless bearings in P brackets and ones in stern tubes if in any doubt while you are doing the above replace all cutless bearings if you are trying to future proof the boat.

Many thanks all good advice...
    PRINCESS 45

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12