Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rydlyme reverse flush with pics

I had a bit of temperature creep at WOT over 5 mins. Started heading to early 90s C but the other engine didnít so time to clean coolers.

The Kad42 has 3 coolers with heat exchanger and oil cooler being a bugger to reach.

Set about coming up with my own pumping system.

Parts need:
    5m of 32mm corrugated pipe : UNIVERSAL Bilge Pump Boat Hose Corrugated Flexible Filter Pipe Marine Flexi Tube https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F381699414337
    £11.39

Bilge pump : 1100GPH Marine Bilge Pump Submersible Water Pump 12V Electric Yacht Boat BP001 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323601141159
    £12.99
    Container (free)
    A few jubilee clips
    30mm diameter (approx) solid plastic pipe (cut up an old hoover handle tube ) I used a short section on the end of the corrugated tubing so the jubilees on the engine hoses have something solid to clamp onto

So, connected the bilge pump and 3m of tube to the seawater pipe at the exhaust elbow. Connected the other flexible pipe to the seawater pipe engine side of the strainer. Filled the container with fresh and started the pump to push out seawater into the bilge.

Added the rydlyme to the container with as little freshwater as possible given the circulating volume in the engine coolers and the 5m worth of pipe.

Fizzing away nicely

Circulated for 2 hours and all done as below. I donít have before pictures as I didnít plan on taking the exchanger end cap off however, it removed something as once all back to normal, I had a drip! Already had a new O Ring so all fixed now and good opportunity to see what had gone on

As it went on I could definitely see the flow rate improve and the bilge pump ďnoteĒ change.

Out tomorrow so will see what happens but still.....very worthwhile job done

Default Re: Rydlyme reverse flush with pics

Unless they have been recently removed and inspected you should look to remove and inspect the oil coolers this winter for corrosion on the outside at the bottom from bi metallic corrosion with leaks.

Is that the old Anabel that was based in Santa Ponsa, Mallorca? If it is then it always has had slightly dodgy temperature gauges.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics F, looks like an easy and cost effective flushing system, especially without having to remove coolers from engine.

Nice job

Quote Originally Posted by aquatom View Post
    Is that the old Anabel that was based in Santa Ponsa, Mallorca? If it is then it always has had slightly dodgy temperature gauges.
    It is! PM incoming!

Uncle Paul of this parish is going to grumble at you

been there, done that, got grumbled at. So this season I'm going to try the old fashioned way

Don't know if your aware but Rydlyme active ingredient is 5-9% hydrochloric acid which can be obtained as brick acid or patio cleaner for a fraction of the cost of rydlyme

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Don't know if your aware but Rydlyme active ingredient is 5-9% hydrochloric acid which can be obtained as brick acid or patio cleaner for a fraction of the cost of rydlyme
    I tried to get barnacle bust but they won’t deliver to offshore islands for a decent price as it corrosive. Why is rydlyme not classed as corrosive if it’s got the same stuff in it? I don’t have the bottle to use brick acid

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Where did you get this nugget of information from as I'd be very interested to see the make up of this solution but they do not publicise it as far as I can tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast