Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Battery box for more than one battery

When I said sealed....I was referring to the fixings to hold them down or in place.
    Although I am sure that in many cases the boxes are vented..
    And have to be to save us from the gases that can be emitted.
    In most cases the batteries are located within the engine space which is vented anyway.
    And the original post asked the simple question about locating batteries together in a box.
    Something that custom making solves very easily and cheaply, which is what the poster required.

After all.
    The battery boxes for a single battery that you buy off the shelf are simple plastic boxes with a lid held on with a couple of straps

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Battery boxes aren't usually sealed... are they?
    No, they aren't because of the gases they emit during charging and discharging, but while they can be sealed to prevent the ingress of water they also need to be vented to atmosphere as the gases are explosive, usually it would be a 2 way valved system with very low pressure and as this pressure is reached they open to expel gasses and prevent the ingress of water through the vent pipe.[/QUOTE]

My boats battery boxes have lids held in place by webbing straps. The lids overlap the walls of the base container sufficiently to keep any water out but I am sure they do not make a gas tight seal. There are gaps to let the cables in and out . There are no vent pipes.
    The starter and domestic batteries are in the engine bay (sterndrive boat) which is a well ventilated space.
    The bow thruster battery under the floor near the bow thruster has it's own box but the space it sits in is not ventilated.
    All batteries are sealed type.

There is an extractor fan in the engine bay which is to be run 4 minutes prior to starting the engines.

I thought this all quite normal and is certainly as intended by the boat builder.

I thought this all quite normal and is certainly as intended by the boat builder.[/QUOTE]

In the majority of cases it is Martyn.
    And also probably in the case of the original poster.

And I am sure that the cost of a sealed vented battery box that allows for safe location within an accommodation space on your average Azi or Ferri to allow perhaps for the installation of a water machine , stabilization system or the like in the machinery space .....
    Is in my long experience in building boats not likely to be a deal breaker one might imagine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12