Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice - Tender with electronic start and steering wheel

Still no boat, so I am consoling myself with SIBS tickets, and a game of 'fantasy upgrades'.

Fairly high on the upgrade list will be a tender. Mrs Woo does like a traditional outboard (she struggles with steering and throttle control) and she is reluctant to venture out alone as she is nervous that she wont be able to start it.

One of my favourite things is to spend an evening at anchor on the River Dart, so for this reason a tender with electronic start, and a steering wheel, throttle and gear selector on a console are fairly high on the pecking order.

The tender must be small enough to fit on c4m beam swim platform, light enough to be lifted by a passerelle (not sure what the weight limit on these usually is, but must be over 100kg???) and must cost less than £5k. Ideally much less.

A quick google has identified the following examples in the 270 to 290 length range:

https://www.youboat.com/uk/d/rib-inf...console/231527

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...lectric/275741

https://www.excel-inflatables.co.uk/...ACK-PRICES.pdf

What do people recommend? RIBs / SIBS / Engines / Suppliers etc?

Hopefully I can check them out at SIBS

regards
    DW
    Last edited by DazzyWoo; 14-08-19 at 20:21.

Default Re: Advice - Tender with electronic start and steering wheel

well here's the USP of the AER... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kykxeZTZs1I It's folding transom.

A really well designed boat, although its a very flat design so expect a splashy ride in the chop. You'll be drier in the Mercury with a deeper vee and higher bow, but it's a clunkier, heavy design.

I just saw all the photos and it looks like the ride on the AER might be an issue. The previous owner has fitted self actuating trim tabs, which must be a first on a 2.7m rib.

I have a Ribeye 260 tender on the bathing platform of my Azimut 39. This is on Hurley davits which I can pull up single handedly. it has a 6 hp outboard, no console or leccy start. The size is perfect for access either side as the Azi has twin transom gates, meaning mooring port or starboard to is equally fine. So, while this meets none of your criteria, it works.

We have always had larger/heavier tenders that usual.
    Originally we had a JetRIB but I woud advise against any of them.
    Great fun but always very unreliable.

When we bought this Princess, we opted for a light Walker Bay with a BIG engine.
    Probably too heavy for your requirement but it might be worth look at the Walker Bay with a smaller engine.
    The boat is made from ABS plastic so it is light.
    They are great fun and carry a lot of people.
    Here's a pic of our one in Dartmouth before we took it to the Med.

But, that all said, if I were looking again for something the size you have indicated, I would look very closely at aluminium ribs and fit the appropriate Yamaha engine.
    AB Inflatable seem to have a good range.
    You might find a good second hand one somewhere.

I can confirm Hurricanes' walker bay is great fun. I've used it quite a bit, and towed silly toys with it.

My guests preferred to follow the main boat in the dinghy just for the fun of it. But look at the number on the cowl of the engine..........

I would recommend a look at these too https://www.bhg-marine.co.uk/cabrio-...ages-297-c.asp

The folding transom means the engine fits in the boat which means you can have a longer tender in the space as the engine doesn't stick out of the back.

It would not work with a 40hp because you'd break your back folding it. But I still subscribe to being a silly bugger and putting too big and engine on (just not as silly as Hurricane). On my 240, I have a 2 stroke 15hp and it does 26 knots and planes with 3 fat people in it.

On RogerRat's azimut he had 2 transom gates, a cabrio meant the dinghy fitted between the gates giving non compromised access port or starboard side to.

As you don't have a boat, the cabrio is just more likely to fit whatever you get.

I've ignored your £5k requirement. Have an extra glass of wine before you go to the stand and it will be fine.
    Last edited by Elessar; 13-08-19 at 12:46.

Ok then - small tender with big engine means you can do this kind of thing:-

But as I said above - probably a bit heavy for you.
    From memory, the Walker Bay and the 40Hp Yamaha engine are about 100kgs each,

Really worth the extra and not much more than your budget.
    Way cheaper than a JetRIB

But as said before - check on the aluminium RIBs - they are VERY light and tough.
    Maybe a 20Hp motor would be enough.

I bought the Tohatsu 230 Rib that was at the Boat Show. It was covered in grubby hand marks from the public but, by heck, it was cheap. Don't think the guys could be arsed cleaning it. Always worth having a chat after a Boat Show, mine cleaned-up a treat and with a Yam 15, flew.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmaTarga View Post
    I just saw all the photos and it looks like the ride on the AER might be an issue. The previous owner has fitted self actuating trim tabs, which must be a first on a 2.7m rib.
    Good spot

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    I have a Ribeye 260 tender... The size is perfect for access either side
    Thats good to know I thought around 270 would give good access to either side - though most boats don't have the Azi's dual gates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast