Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hempel Silic One Cote d'Azur

Sterngear as in outdrives here. I found no AF kept barnacles off above the cavitation plate and my outdrives would be absolutely saturated with barnacles within the period June to end of July. With nothing to loose I covered the area over new AF with water proof (whatever they mean by that) white grease simply painted on as a test. The grease stayed on (Boat launched in beginning of April, now August) and no barnacles whatsoever. Not one. There has been some very fine filament weed growth on the anodes which were not painted over with grease and diatoms, which has no negative effect, on the grease. Personally I thought the grease would go within a couple journeys considering my berth also sits in a 3knt tidal current, but it has persisted. I couldn't be more delighted. Note though that when on the plane all the areas above the cavitation plate are out of the water flow so I cannot say if grease permanently under the waterline will enjoy any longevity. Certainly though next year I will be painting my water intake vents with grease and monitor how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Maybe I'm being a bit too suspicious but is it a bit of a coincidence that the first letter in this month's MBY is also about this product?
    I have no idea, I just answered to OP's post....

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Property View Post
    I have no idea, I just answered to OP's post....
    And I asked my pal his experience. Still nice to be part of a conspiracy theory !
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

I think if it was a conspiracy theory I wouldn’t have mentioned the barnacle/Crustacea issue....??
    Plus, I did mention there was no increase in speed so not really a ringing endorsement.
    Will give it time and see where we are in a year’s time. If we have to pay a diver, say, 2 or 3 times over winter to do the waterline and sterngear but the bottom otherwise remains clean then perhaps we can declare a success.
    Thanks for all the sterngear suggestions, will have to try some of them.
    Cheers
    Jonathan
    Last edited by jmnapier; 16-08-19 at 20:27.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12