Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hempel Silic One Cote d'Azur

I thought it would be useful to others to post about Hempel Silic One, specifically on the Cote d’Azur.
    The boat is a Hunton 37 thoroughbred based in la Rague. She is flat out at 47 knots(prop adjustment needed!)but we tend to cruise at about 30 due to guest comfort. We saw no change in top speed after launch.
    We had the coating professionally applied in June, launching on July 1st, so now have approximately 6 weeks of use. The good news is that any green tinge seen at the berth is gone by arrival time at the Islands. The bad news is that it is very susceptible to ‘crustacea’. This comes off with a sponge and is limited to waterline areas. The problem will be, come winter, when it is no longer removed once a week and starts to build. I have read elsewhere that it grips in to paint and will therefore damage the Silic One eventually. There is also some degradation at the location of the supports where the paint has been ‘patched’. I saw this patching done and it was done carefully.
    The paint has a ‘sticky’ feel, just like the surface of a silicon hose. It is very slippery at the transom steps built in to the hull, care has to be taken when climbing out of the water.
    The prop/sterngear coating was a total waste of time. A large amount came off on the first run and most is now gone. Anyone got any better ideas for sterngear??
    Interested in any one else’s experiences with Silic One, particularly reference the crustaceans!!
    All the best
    Jonathan

Default Re: Hempel Silic One Cote d'Azur

Quote Originally Posted by jmnapier View Post
    The prop/sterngear coating was a total waste of time. A large amount came off on the first run and most is now gone. Anyone got any better ideas for sterngear??
    Interested in any one else’s experiences with Silic One, particularly reference the crustaceans!!
    If anybody can find an effective and durable antifoul treatment for the sterngear on planing boats in the Med, they would make a fortune. AFAIK such a product doesnt exist. FWIW I have tried a very expensive Propspeed treatment in the past and it was a waste of money because it was peeling of the prop blades within weeks. Hull antifouling isnt such an issue because local paints as well as international brands of antifoul paint tend to work well. Personally I always take the advice of the yard who doing the painting on my hull as to what paint they recommend. Local knowledge tends to know best

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    If anybody can find an effective and durable antifoul treatment for the sterngear on planing boats in the Med, they would make a fortune. AFAIK such a product doesnt exist. FWIW I have tried a very expensive Propspeed treatment in the past and it was a waste of money because it was peeling of the prop blades within weeks. Hull antifouling isnt such an issue because local paints as well as international brands of antifoul paint tend to work well. Personally I always take the advice of the yard who doing the painting on my hull as to what paint they recommend. Local knowledge tends to know best
    +1 to all this .
    I,ve stopped worrying about the stern gear have as above wasted time / money on “ wonder cures “ , over the past 14 years next door in La Napoule.
    Takes about 30 mins with a snorkel or 20 with by dive bottle to hand scrape .
    The yard at La Rague use an Italian brand “ in -“ something antifoul, which is ok .This season I switched to
    International micron 350 seems to work better for us on the hull and we cruise at around 30 knots .

The wind In the afternoon can cut up the bay of Cannes on the run back pretty bad , you’ve probably found this out and taken a bit of gratitude from running in a Hunton back home .

I applied Silic one to my 7 metre sports cruiser in the spring. I followed all the instructions particularly the timing of overcoating and temp/ humidity. 4 coats in all over existing sound AF.

The sides do get a bit slimy but a quick 20 knots blast with hard turns soon rubs it off!

Quite impressed so far, time will no doubt tell.

A recent YBW article from a boat on the Hamble indicated that a service life of 3 years may be possible. Based on that I shall recoup the extra cost of the materials as I will only have a lift and hold to change oils on the verado.

Saving of around £130 annually plus about £75 on AF.

Slight increase in speed noticed as well. 35 knots before now around 37.

In 3 years time I hope to get away with a single top up coat as set out in their blurb somewhere.

I understand that Superheat6k of this parish is considering applying it should it go well with me.

I do feel as if I am slightly ahead of the curve as traditional AF hasn't been banned or diluted to the point of ineffectiveness.

That day is rapidly approaching though!!!

Yes, the Hunton is a very smooth ride. The faster you go the better but unfortunately passenger preference usually gets in the way of this course of action!
    HP, where are you based? Any problem with Crustacea/barnacles?
    Cheers Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jmnapier View Post
    Yes, the Hunton is a very smooth ride. The faster you go the better but unfortunately passenger preference usually gets in the way of this course of action!
    HP, where are you based? Any problem with Crustacea/barnacles?
    Cheers Jonathan
    Hamble and no problems that I am aware of.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Property View Post
    Hamble and no problems that I am aware of.....
    I was going to ask how it has worked so far ?

Not good reports of its performance on stern gear though.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

no experience with Hempel Silic One, but I do have some good news on metal stern gear in the Med, bear with me.

After various (unsuccessful) attempts, flaking off in the first 10nm... I was about to do the same last year when a guy working on my friend's P45 (doing some grp work) saw me and mentioned that if I want anything to stay on the shafts/props/et al, I have to make sure I apply it in spray form.
    So took my v.bloody expensive Velox primer and white a/f to the guy I buy paints from and asked him to put them into aerosol cans (pregassed cans which take around 100ml of the thing)
    Sanded/roughened the bronze props with a 60grit paper and applied 4 spray coats from 20cm on a flat calm evening.
    Left it and next day did the same with approx 3coats of the a/f again from 20cm.

Primer wouldn't even turn the metal greenish (that's it's colour), a/f did eventual turn the props and shafts white (easier to spot where material is missing)

300nm later and a full winter, spring till late June, going to the boatyard (ok 1nm away...) was easy with good control and decent speed. Previous times, I had to rev it a lot to get the boat over 5kn...
    On inspection, props were free from all marinelife, just a tiny bit of crustation...

This year, I got one of these sponge padded sandpaper thingies (I think 80grit this time) and softly passed all the metal again to clean the crustation (less than an hour for both props and shafts).
    Boatyard had jetwashed the boat already.
    Used only one can of primer, on a few small (say 2eurocoin size) areas that a/f had gone and a haze on the rest (just in case).
    FWIW, I didn't even bother buying the Velox primer, but chose a galvanised steel primer (as in primer good enough for galvanised steel), seems to be holding just fine.
    I used a can of white Velux a/f.

Diving under the boat, last week and after two weeks on board and 200nm props are clean and are still white no bits missing

Mind I'm exclusively on D speeds and up to 10kn with just 2mins at 19kn for the season

cheers

V.

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    I was going to ask how it has worked so far ?

Not good reports of its performance on stern gear though.
    It seems to be working for me Trev. The best advantage of an outboard is that the important bits live out of salt water when not in use and are freshwater flushed internally before putting to bed. This, coupled with the Silic one appears to be a good solution for sports boats that are not drystacked.

Getting anything to stick to a prop is a technical challenge at the best of times. I do think that trim tabs would benefit as they are subject to similar forces as hull. Ditto rudders. So that just leaves the props to sort....

A highly polished prop will aid efficiency and reduce fouling for a time but regular use will also help. Not sure if phosphor bronze can achieve this as well as stainless?

Next time I bump into you on the pontoon I'll update you!
    Last edited by Hot Property; 14-08-19 at 21:54.

Maybe I'm being a bit too suspicious but is it a bit of a coincidence that the first letter in this month's MBY is also about this product?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast