Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking of disabling the gps function in your DSC handheld? Think twice!

I have a Standard Horizon HX870, and, annoyed by the short battery life, had been about to use the menu option to disable gps completely* to save some amps when it dawned on me that it mightn't be that clever. Would pressing the red button switch the gps back on? There's no mention in the obvious bits of the manual**.

I wrote to SH, and they said 'good question', and would ask the engineers. The answer received today is that it won't, and your alarm message will go out without a position.

Other brands may or may not do the same.

(*The options do let you select 50/75/90% power saving by reducing the frequency of fixes, but since I never use the gps bit I thought it might as well be off completely).

(** If you do disable gps completely, you do get a serious telling off next time you turn it on).
    Last edited by anoccasionalyachtsman; 13-08-19 at 10:58.

Default Re: Thinking of disabling the gps function in your DSC handheld? Think twice!

Why not enable 90% power saving? Gets you nearly all the benefit yet not much of a downside. Unless your traveling very quickly your fix will be at most, slightly out, or rather probably good enough to locate you.

Default Re: Thinking of disabling the gps function in your DSC handheld? Think twice!

If gps is off I wouldn't expect it to send a position, it takes time to aquire a fix.
    A 10% on setting sounds like a good solution.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by gregcope View Post
    Why not enable 90% power saving? Gets you nearly all the benefit yet not much of a downside. Unless your traveling very quickly your fix will be at most, slightly out, or rather probably good enough to locate you.
    I have now, but I'd have taken the completely off option if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    If gps is off I wouldn't expect it to send a position, it takes time to aquire a fix.
    A 10% on setting sounds like a good solution.
    I 'd rather hoped that the designers would have made the red button override the menu options, although as you say the first broadcast would have had to be without a fix, subsequent ones could have included it once gps was up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by gregcope View Post
    What sort of battery life do you get with that enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    What sort of battery life do you get with that enabled?
    The manual explains that with the power saving on, the gps operates for 3 seconds every 3/9/27 seconds under the three conditions. I need to use mine tomorrow, but after that will have a play and see what it actually does in real life.

My handheld is for emergency, I keep it turned off usually. I wouldn't turn the GPS off anyway...

My HX870 has a very good battery life, even with GPS enabled. I wouldn't dream of turning GPS off.

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

So we have a handheld DSC radio with built in GPS.

How long before someone puts a colour screen on the front and incorporates a chart plotter as well?

That is a serious question as I would have thought that would be a damned handy bit of kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast