Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Thinking of disabling the gps function in your DSC handheld? Think twice!

ICOM M93 manual:

NOTE on Distress calls (Simple calls and Regular calls): If no valid position data is received when sending a Distress call,the transceiver waits for 15 seconds until position data is received, and then the Distress call is sent. If no position is received during this 15 seconds, the position data in the transceiver memory is automatically sent. However, if there is no position data in the memory, the Distress call is sent without position data.

NOTE (For USA and Export versions):After sending a Distress call without position data•While waiting for an Acknowledgement, if valid position data is received, the transceiver will automatically send a Distress call again.•Even after exiting the DSC mode, if valid position data is received within 20 minutes after receiving a Distress Acknowledgement, the transceiver will automatically send a Distress call again.

If you do the simple distress call DSC (hold down red button 3 seconds) - above applies.
    If you do a regular DSC distress call (via the menu buttons - selecting distress type ) - if no pos you are prompted to manually enter one. (By the time you've done that you'll likely have drowned!)

But I don't think you can disable GPS - correct me if I'm wrong...

Seems quite different from the HX870. No mention of waiting for a new fix. If you do the manual DSC call you can give a manual location but seems less automated in asking.

Default Re: Thinking of disabling the gps function in your DSC handheld? Think twice!

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    So we have a handheld DSC radio with built in GPS.

How long before someone puts a colour screen on the front and incorporates a chart plotter as well?

That is a serious question as I would have thought that would be a damned handy bit of kit.
    With a 5 hour battery life.

Less is more.

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

Less is more.
    WHY?

My phone can go all day running it's GPS and Open CPN

A handhheld VHF receiving should not use much power, it's transmitting that eats the juice. Make it with an interchangable battery pack like most Icom's etc and problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

Less is more.
    You're getting 5 hours from an HX870? That's about what mine does, pvb's comment suggests that he's getting more.

WHY?

A handhheld VHF receiving should not use much power, it's transmitting that eats the juice. Make it with an interchangable battery pack like most Icom's etc and problem solved.
    It's not great is it, but it does have swappable batteries.

But is 5hrs on GPS updates every second? Who needs that level of precision on a HH GPS? Even on a RIB doing 30kts, in 1 minute you've travelled 0.5knot. If you go with the 90% saving option you'll get a position every 0.25knot at that speed. Good luck plotting that onto you chart in 30 seconds before the next position comes in while travelling at that kind of speed...

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    But is 5hrs on GPS updates every second? Who needs that level of precision on a HH GPS? Even on a RIB doing 30kts, in 1 minute you've travelled 0.5knot. If you go with the 90% saving option you'll get a po27sition every 0.25knot at that speed. Good luck plotting that onto you chart in 30 seconds before the next position comes in while travelling at that kind of speed...
    Prezactly! I think it's every three seconds though, and introduces gaps of 3, 9 and 27 for the saving modes.

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
    My handheld is for emergency, I keep it turned off usually. I wouldn't turn the GPS off anyway...
    You may be surprised at how long it can take to get a fix if only used very occasionally. In an emergency speed is of the essence.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    My HX870 has a very good battery life, even with GPS enabled. I wouldn't dream of turning GPS off.
    Same here with my HX851E.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

WHY?

Hmmm
    In answer to your question - Probably because I have an iPhone.
    My comment withdrawn.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    Even on a RIB doing 30kts, in 1 minute you've travelled 0.5knot. If you go with the 90% saving option you'll get a position every 0.25knot at that speed.
    I think you mean Nautical Miles!
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 15-08-19 at 13:06.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12