Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Can I ask about the Solent?

We have been delayed in getting afloat and we will have a few days to kill in the Solent because the riggers who are going to fit the furler shut down for their summer holiday for the last two weeks of August.

So we are thinking of spending a few days getting to know the new boat before the furler is fitted.

Given that this is a big boat with a smallish engine and limited control going astern (fin and skeg but prop a long way from rudder) and a crew who are new to her, with all that that implies, where are the safest places to visit? LOA 55ft draft 8ft 6ins.

Default Re: Can I ask about the Solent?

Well, since you're now an expert on anchors, are you happy tendering in?

If so, Yarmouth buoys, and Newtown on quiet neapy day might work. I'm also deep; if you enter Newtown at springs, only turn left after deducting 0.5m minimum to last charted depths. If you don't fancy it you can anchor outside. Once again pm for exact location.

Other great anchor spots are Alum Bay, and poss Whitecliff Bay, both absolutely weather dependent. Pm if you want to know where I drop the hook (a Spade that is, sorry! )

Cowes, I think you know, and another option might be Premier Gosport. Tell them that you're not that maneuverable and that dead-end alleys are no go. They might be able to squeeze you into an easy access deep berth, of which there are really quite a few. Haslar may if you're lucky also have something. Also consider Port Solent, tell them you're coming and avoid peak w/e traffic. The lock keepers are very helpful and will take lines if asked. Also if you're lucky there is a pontoon at Hambe Yacht Services. Prob forget this at w/es when the Fast 40s et al are afloat, but during the week you might be lucky. Poss also any of the other marinas if you're lucky.

And don't forget Chichester Harbour: Itchenor has a visitors pontoon (you'll still need a tender). Be careful of tidal flows, which are of course great if you can harness them.
    Last edited by dom; 13-08-19 at 12:43.

Assuming you would like to park with minimal requirements for three point turns, the lower reaches of The Hamble come to mind. If I recall the visitor pontoons for e.g. The Royal Southern and Hamble Point are up-and-down the river and I believe you will have room to turn your boat in one turn across the river. Ocean Village in Southampton have some quite big pontoons right by the entrance which may suit (or raft up with the impounded Superyacht right in the entrance )

For the Isle of Wight I'm racking my brains for somewhere with a marina where you could easily manouver a 55ft boat. Possibly Cowes with riverside pontoons at Sheperds, or maybe further up the Medina at the Folly, but I'm not sure what depth you get up there and low water anywhere near the Cowes chain ferry can be a bit of a challenge I believe.
    Still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    We have been delayed in getting afloat.
    Was that a result of being beached for a few days?

Richard

Thank you both. Have dinghy and anchor. My Solent experience has been limited to Lymington and Hamble. I’ll be waving one of those MDL season tickets so Hamble Point is definitely a starter. Any opportunity to anchor or to grab a suitable sized buoy will be very welcome.

Edited to correct Hamble Point
    Last edited by Kukri; 13-08-19 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Was that a result of being beached for a few days?

Richard
    I had what I took to be «*man flu*». It wasn’t.

Just out of interest, do you have a bow thruster?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Thank you both. Have dinghy and anchor. My Solent experience has been limited to Lymington and Hamble. I’ll be waving one of those MDL season tickets so Port Hamble is definitely a starter. Any opportunity to anchor or to grab a suitable sized buoy will be very welcome.
    The tide and lack of space in some areas of Port Hamble can make it tricky for larger boats. Also the charter crews are, err, interesting to watch if you are 24 foot on a 10 M pontoon and well tucked in. Not so much fun if you are the one sticking out so more easily clobbered. With that said, I am sure you would be fine, but given a choice, I would suggest Hamble Point instead.

Also, I am sure you are perfectly capable of handling your boat yourselves, but there is absolutely no shame in calling the marina guys up and asking for help. They are usually only too pleased to catch lines etc.

Pick up a buoy outside Yarmouth
    Anchor in Osborne Bay (near Cowes)
    Anchor in Priory Bay (near Bembridge)
    Anchor in the lower Beulieu river (behind the spit)

Marinas/pontoons:-

East Cowes pontoon (just below chain ferry), Folly Inn (avoid weekends)
    Gosport Marina
    Hamble Point Marina
    Port Hamble Marina
    Shamrock Quay Marina
    Marchwood SC (on the outside pontoon)

With adequate planning, Beaulieu should be no problem?
    Yarmouth buoys would be my top choice.
    River Medina offers a fair range?

Anchoring off Bembrdige/Seaview/Priory Bay worth a thought?

In a boat like that, Swanage and back is a mere leg-stretch from Yarmouth and might be a good shake-down?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast