Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Can I ask about the Solent?

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Be cheeky. Turn up at JSASTC.......

Cowes Yacht Haven and Haslar are doddle.
    They did invite me to drop in for a chat. They didn’t say ‘with boat’!

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    That could be an innocent misunderstanding you use to your advantage. Im sure the JSASTC would oblige.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Didn't they just finish dredging Ocean Village last year or the year before?
    We moved out of there about eighteen months ago and our two metre draft would scrape the bottom in several places at low tide. Dunno what they have done there since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Some may remember an old Whitbread racer run by the Urugyans? An oft regretted but casual invite to 'drop in' led to it being alongside HMS Dolphin, as it was then. It was a place that included me.

There was some good kit totally abandoned on board. And then there wasnt...... officially managed, btw.

On the other tack, Hornet may well have a lot of NIC 55 spare gear......? Reasonably offered?

You never know when spare rigging comes in handy!

Oh and its probably the best bar for many a league.

Considering the depth of water required and space for a larger yacht, I would narrow down the choices a little. With enough ht of tide to get in I would say Lymington Dan Brun Pontoon ( but book in advance), Beaulieu I would have thought could fit you in on a buoy and probably on a pontoon. Must be other marina/harbour options but I would not have experience of them. Anchoring, depending on wind and sea state: just north of the Fishbourne entrance in around 5 to 7 metres or if Neaps then on nearby Peel Bank in the deeper parts, if calm then the SW end of Thorness Bay just into the deeper water, similar for Totland Bay, Studland Bay worth the journey, Stokes Bay, Chichester Harbour Chalkdock Anchorage, Chichester Harbour Itchenor Conservancy Pontoon (book in advance), Chichester Harbour East Head Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    We moved out of there about eighteen months ago and our two metre draft would scrape the bottom in several places at low tide. Dunno what they have done there since then.
    You information is indeed very much out of date. What they have done it rearranged most of the pontoons and dredged almost all of the marina, so your comments are definitely not valid.

However they have made a complete pig's ear of various maintenance projects over the summer and as we speak most of the parking and some of the pontoons are taken up by a Warner Bothers film unit with some rather oafish staff who seem to think that they are running the place, whilst the marina crew appear to have been cowed into submission. so I could not recommend a visit for at least a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    You information is indeed very much out of date. What they have done it rearranged most of the pontoons and dredged almost all of the marina, so your comments are definitely not valid.

However they have made a complete pig's ear of various maintenance projects over the summer and as we speak most of the parking and some of the pontoons are taken up by a Warner Bothers film unit with some rather oafish staff who seem to think that they are running the place, whilst the marina crew appear to have been cowed into submission. so I could not recommend a visit for at least a week or so.
    Interesting - what are they filming? The life story of old VJ?

The visitors' moorings at Itchenor have a good 20' depth, I know having sampled all of it vertically while diving to recover someones' fouled anchor - my ears couldn't stand the pressure so my chum did it.

There had just been a nasty accident at East Head when someone got a turn of chain around their leg and drowned - when the chain to my tender started to rattle like mad I thought ' Christ, John may be trapped ! ' So paid out more chain so he could free himself.

Eventually he burst to the surface with the anchor over his shoulder, he'd been pulling himself up the chain while I was paying it out sending him back down again - I learned a few new naughty words
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Thanks again to everyone.

Is there a book? (I have the Shell Channel Pilot). I seem to remember that Adlard Coles wrote a book called ’Creeks and Harbours of the Solent’, much like ‘East Coast Rivers’.

The Crew’s Union meeting has decided that we ‘ought to’ try to visit Beaulieu, Hamble and the Medina, and that if time and weather permit the skipper ought to sail round the bit of England that he has never circumnavigated - the Isle of Wight...
    Last edited by Minn; 15-08-19 at 20:18.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast