Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Can I ask about the Solent?

[QUOTE=Old Harry;6877210]Anchorages between Selsey and Weymouth

This list is far from exhaustive and is only intended to indicate some places that I or friends have found useful or enjoyable. Where an anchorage is well known but I haven’t tried it, I have said so.

Thank you. One to print off and keep in the chart table!

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    What an excellent summary, I've copied this and saved it for future reference...
    +1

Vessel Finder and similar apps last night clearly showed the places to anchor in the Solent. Those in the exposed to the east wind this morning maybe had a rolly breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    We have been delayed in getting afloat and we will have a few days to kill in the Solent because the riggers who are going to fit the furler shut down for their summer holiday for the last two weeks of August.

So we are thinking of spending a few days getting to know the new boat before the furler is fitted.

Given that this is a big boat with a smallish engine and limited control going astern (fin and skeg but prop a long way from rudder) and a crew who are new to her, with all that that implies, where are the safest places to visit? LOA 55ft draft 8ft 6ins.
    Beware anyware with strong tidal stream, eg Cowes entrance, Yarmouth, Hurst, unless slackish water, your small engine might not cope. Dan Bran, you would bottom on LW springs with that draft. Keyhaven likewise at almost all tides.
    Last edited by scotty123; 25-08-19 at 09:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    You could also try Swanwick Marina, lots of big berths, and room to turn. I'd avoid times of peak flow.
    +1 for swanwick. They have hammerheads and I've frequently been put on berths which could fit a 17m boat but although I also have a long fin/long shaft/no bowthruster boat, I suspect that with my boat being 12m my experience of the fairway width would be substantially more comfortable than Minn's. Having said that I regard the current at the bursledon bridge part of the hamble as being an advantage to folks whose boats don't steer well in reverse until they've got some way on.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345