Default Volvo Penta D4-225 Dipstick Position

Please forgive me if this question classifies me as a 'dipstick' myself but does anyone know whether it is possible to change the position of the engine oil dipstick from one side of the D4 block to the other?

I'm looking to purchase a used single shaft mobo where the dipstick is positioned on the port side of the engine block adjacent to the oil filters - seems logical from that point of view.

I have port and starboard hatches in the saloon floor and the dipstick is only realistically accessible from the one on the port side. The trouble is, that in order to open the port side hatch, I must remove the dinette table, table leg and seat cushions and then manhandle a complete (loose) seat locker into the aft cockpit!

I always check the oil level before every trip as part of my 'pre-flight checklist' and this is going to drive me mad.

Does anyone else have the same problem and are there any sensible solutions?

Any input gratefully received.

Default Re: Volvo Penta D4-225 Dipstick Position

Yes, it's definitely possible to switch the dipstick side.
    (hopefully)
    As a first pass, have a poke around, and make sure your sump has a part "7" on the "other" side with a blanking plug.
    Then you just need the bracket and maybe a part 20/21 (bolt / washer) depending on which side you are switching to.

The side which doesn't have a dipstick usually just has a blanking plate, but to swap it over its engine out to get the sump off as the bolts which hold the blanking plate and dipstick tube mounting plate are on the INSIDE, smart engineering!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spannerman View Post
    The side which doesn't have a dipstick usually just has a blanking plate, but to swap it over its engine out to get the sump off as the bolts which hold the blanking plate and dipstick tube mounting plate are on the INSIDE, smart engineering!!!
    I guess it depends on how much access you have to the side of the sump and how large the hole is. If that hole is large enough once the blank is removed its shouldnt be too difficult to fabricate a captive plate to go inside and use studs to reinstall the dip stick tube. Thats assuming the plate hole is large enough to allow you to fish the original bolts out through the hole. I'm sure if there is reasonable access to the side of the sump then the job could be done in situ.

FlowerPower: Thank you for raising my spirits with the parts diagram - it looks so easy in that!

And then my hopes are dashed by Spannerman's realism. Thank you for sharing what sounds like the benefit of bitter experience.

Then my hopes slightly raised by Beamishken's ingenuity so thank you for your suggestion also.

The good thing is that there's plenty of room (relatively speaking for boat engines) on either side of the block so it shouldn't be too difficult to find out whether there are two 'Part 7' fitted. I've searched for FlowerPower's diagram which took me to the VP Parts Catalogue and, against my serial number, the quantity required for Part 7 is two. So perhaps it will be easy after all. I'll report back in due course.

Just looked at one of my D4s and there’s part 7 each side and bung part 10 is fitted in one side and dipstick tube 11 is in other side so should be an easy swap.

That's excellent news. Thank you.