Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The killing fields

For those who love anchoring with a masthead anchoring light, again some dead people due to one of those big overpowered ribs who are so “in “nowadays.
    During the night the powerboat just ran over the fishing boat who was pulling his nets.
    It is impossible to pull fishing nets in the dark, those fishing boats have a sea of light.
    We ware in Porto Cheli some days ago, we have a dark boat so I had three flashing red lights and the whole night a extreme bright cockpit light on.
    Still one night one of these black 30 feet ribs with 900 HP on it passed us so close his wake put our cockpit under water. Have seen some pics, think it is the same boat that almost hit us.
    Last year it was Aegina, now Porto Cheli, maybe tomorrow Poros. At least six of those black killers on the water today in Poros. And why ? The passengers shout youhou when they pass. And their bitches shriek.

Default Re: The killing fields

Quote Originally Posted by OldBawley View Post
    For those who love anchoring with a masthead anchoring light, again some dead people due to one of those big overpowered ribs who are so “in “nowadays.
    During the night the powerboat just ran over the fishing boat who was pulling his nets.
    It is impossible to pull fishing nets in the dark, those fishing boats have a sea of light.
    We ware in Porto Cheli some days ago, we have a dark boat so I had three flashing red lights and the whole night a extreme bright cockpit light on.
    Still one night one of these black 30 feet ribs with 900 HP on it passed us so close his wake put our cockpit under water. Have seen some pics, think it is the same boat that almost hit us.
    Last year it was Aegina, now Porto Cheli, maybe tomorrow Poros. At least six of those black killers on the water today in Poros. And why ? The passengers shout youhou when they pass. And their bitches shriek.
    So sorry to hear that these idiots in fast ribs have killed people. With regards your 3 flashing red light s becareful as you may be blamed for incorrectly identifying yourself.
    Three or four rich locals in a fast rib against a foreigner displaying strange lighting , who do you think the Port Police will believe?
    Last edited by rtboss1; 13-08-19 at 15:56.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

I don´t give a dahm about what the pp believes. I want to survive. Even white flashing lights are not seen against a town full of lights. Red is.

Anyway, in this case the lights ware not the issue. The fishing boat was fully lighted. The driver who fled the scene and returned a day later with a lawyer is already free and back in Belgium.

I have a reason to be afraid. We ware hit four times in 30 years of sailing. Two times by slow fishing boats, once by a fast dinghy. All three at night. The fast dinghy passed under our bowsprit. I found blood and skin on the bobstay chain. That was in Turkey, probably a kid working on one of those gullets. The foremost red flashing light hangs on the very tip of the bowsprit. At anchor during the day I have a medium size flag hanging from the bowsprit. During daytime a Hydra water taxi crashed into it. He was manoeuvring backwards, turned around our anchored boat and broke the jib pole. He was the only one who not fled the scene.

Whilst typing this a big gullet with American flag anchored / moored next to me. I know, the floating hotel is not American. And what is moored at the side of the gullet ? Yes, one of those black 10 meter ribs.
    This one has only two outboards, lets say max 500 HP. The thing is not the dinghy, they have a smaller rib as a dinghy. It is the toy. The toy that should be forbidden.
    I don´t like policing, I hate policing. Those toys are killers. Even in daylight they go at 30 knots through an anchorage with lots of swimmers. ( Russian bay )
    We all know what the Greek Port Police is policing.

End of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBawley View Post
    I don't see how some dim lights would protect you, get some of these in a tight pattern:

contact_mine_floating.jpg

Unfortunately most chandlers run out of stock about 70 years ago...

I despise people with flashing lights and red of all colours - irresponsible, confusing, irritating to others and daft. Have a flood of white lights at deck level by all means but red flashing? Dear God.

But I suspect I’ve just been successfully trolled by somebody pretending to be inventively dangerous and unseamanlike.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    I despise people with flashing lights and red of all colours - irresponsible, confusing, irritating to others and daft. Have a flood of white lights at deck level by all means but red flashing? Dear God.

But I suspect I’ve just been successfully trolled by somebody pretending to be inventively dangerous and unseamanlike.
    I thought the same ..I sailed exactly the same area for twenty years, never had a problem displaying the correct lights.
    Port Police are saying the fishing "boat "did not have any lights at all ,and it was run down in the night , two men dead and a woman very seriously injured.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

+1

Agreed, I keel a solar garden light on board. Gives a silhouette and some deck details without annoying the neighbors. Not very strong though.

Everybody who has pulled nets knows it is not possible to do so without light. I have laid nets for 11 years, have experience. Fishing boats working always have a sea of light.. I have anchored lots and lots of times in the area where the accident happened, have never ever seen a fishing boat without lights. And the first version of the PP was that the fishing boat had its lights on. How and why they changed their observation is weird. To say the least.
    Also extremely weird that the driver first disappeared for a day, then returned with a lawyer. Not some lawyer, the lawyer.
    We anchor every night, summer, winter, and in between and did so for the last 30 years. Needed a lot of new chains.
    Our boat is black, is almost invisible in the dark and I anchor often in places where the locals don´t expect an anchoring yacht. I also like anchoring between yachts left for months on a mooring. Those yachts have no lights on and locals have been powering through those fields for years, they don´t expect a strange duck between the hens. So for 29 years I used white anchoring light on deck level, was hit 3 times, twice by fishing boats returning from pulling nets. Both fled, I found them anyway. Where our damage was small, their wooden boats ware badly damaged. After having a look at those boats I knew that they ware owned by people who could only afford a fake insurance.
    Lots and lots of Turkish people had those insurances, they costed in those days 11 YTL / year. That is 5 € /year. I had a French friend who had such an insurance for his 12 meter steel yacht. Only good for the papers / officials.

As to the despise you feel for me, I pity people who follow stupid rules made centuries ago when yachting and boating was almost non existent. I don´t follow rules who are passed by time. I adapt.

Saw a yacht with a blinking Christmas tree led lighting sling in the mast. Good. Had he had a white masthead light of a white deck light I would not have seen him in front of the thousends of lights of the town.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast