Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The killing fields

When anchoring I used to use the masthead light plus 2 battery operated LED lanterns at deck level.... on at the bow, and another at the back end of the boom, lower then the front one. Easy to see from a distance, and made my boat easily recognisable when returning in the dinghy.

I'm not sure how appropriate a red light would be but, in dangerous situations, perhaps anything that makes other boats stop and wonder, is a good thing.

What would I have been confused with if i had hung a red light as well as my white lights?
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post

What would I have been confused with if i had hung a red light as well as my white lights?

No idea how it is in GB, here in Greece red flashing means a fixed obstacle. End of a peer, end of a pontoon. Yellow flashing is for fast people carrying craft. Ferry´s and watertaxi´s.

Just to give an idea. The pic is a small waterfront town in Greece. Pic taken during winter.
    So imagine the same town in summer. Winter population 4000 summer 35.000.
    All closed in winter taverna´s ( 300 ? ) and bars are now open and lighted. So are the 400 yachts in front of the town plus the 400 anchored in front of the town.

What do you see ?
    And what does a drunk in a 30 kn bullet boat see ?
    And what about if there are 6 of those fast boats playing in the dark ?

Maybe if these fast boats just slowed down and exercised what at one time would have been seen as good seamanship then the need for muticoloured lighting systems and the ensuing arguments for and against would not be necessary.
    Unfortunately the drivers of these boats are not good seaman and should never be allowed at the wheel of any craft (exception of maybe a pedalo).
    With their attitude to safety they should probably not be allowed to drive a car either. They are probably the same people that drive down the outside lane of a motorway at 100 mph in thick fog or heavy rain.

I have to say I use to be irritated by flashing white light , two years ago after being hit just below my anchor light hanging from my fro deck by the way the guy hit me just below the light on the bow , I decided to buy a white flashing light , now I have my white non flashing anchor light which keep me legal at the same time the flashing one to get more notice ,
    Is came in very useful find the boat coming back at night .
    Can I say just one thing guys some of us old sea dogs just refuse to move with the times,
    I can almost say if them who don't have one tried one you won't be removing it no time soon .
    Personlly I wouldn't be useing red or green light .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

The problem it seems is irresponsible skippers motoring at excessive speeds in an anchorage or when boats might reasonably expected to be at anchor. I don't believe the solution is to show the wrong light yourselves, no matter how visible you think you make yourself. The Colregs apply to everybody.

If I was at anchor in the dark and one of these fast RHIBs was motoring at speed in my anchorage I would get on the VHF to the coastguard, and if they didn't answer then Olympia Radio, and complain in no uncertain terms about the dangerous behaviour of the RHIB in a crowded anchorage. If, as in the case of the gullet mentioned, you know what boat it's from then so much the better.

It does absolutely no good to suggest that the Greek port police don't police their own if nobody ever complains when they're being stupid. In my (quite long now) experience of living here it is simply not true that the authorities 'go easy' on locals and crack down on visitors. They can, and do, hurt locals in many more ways than are available to them with a visitor.
    Mostly harmless....

I hate flashing lights on anchored boats. Coloured flashing lights are even worse and colour changing flashing lights are just crazy. I have seen them all. In the situation where you are hit by a rib and the occupants are killed, you are the one breaking the law. You are the one that will be in prison. Why do it? Comply with the law or see the law used against you. If you want to be seen then use led spot lights to illuminate the boat. You dont need coloured lights if the whole boat can be seen. Ok, it might take more power to run them but its legal and it works. Its what we do in busy anchorages. An led white flood light illuminates the boat from the bow, a bright white led light hangs from the mizzen boom and an anchor light at the masthead. It works and its legal.

My rant was not about lights, for me you can all use whatever you think is appropriate to the situation.
    Hell, I used a petroleum anchor light for years, but then I was sailing the North Sea where high power speed vessels did not exist.

My rant was about the use of high speed boats in places not suited for them. Out at sea, they should be, not in harbour entrances or crowded lake like bays.

Not that they can´t be dangerous at sea. Two weeks ago we ware sailing our little old boat at sea.
    I saw a big super yacht passing, it was just clearing the tip of Spetses island so instinctively I knew the big boat was passing about a mile away. Noticed the big yacht made big waves.
    We ware sailing 5 knots close to the wind in a flat sea, suddenly I saw those waves coming at us, and they ware braking waves. With a big white crest on top.
    They hit us broadside. Everything inside the ( liveaboard ) boat changed place, a big splash of seawater filled our cockpit, and the head of the autopilot actuator broke off. Had I been steering by hand, the tiller would have broken my hand. ( Our rudder weighs 75 kg ) Later I found that the yawl lugsail had big tear at the bottom of the sail. That sail lives just 4 feet above the water, must have had a splash.
    Normal sea waves lift our boat, no problem. Not in the last 80 years of intensive sailing. These fast running waves create a trough and 4 or 5 yards further a two yard high crest that is so fast that the heavy boat has no time to lift.
    I have no idea how fast the bow wave of a 30 knot boat is, I do know that the weight of the water hitting us at high speed is 60.000 kg.

Ok, I know, I should have been more attentive, my fault.

Yesterday a biggish ( 90 feet ) motor yacht ploughed into Russian bay anchorage creating 3 feet hight crested waves. Why ?? they have to go full astern to stop. From my neighbour yacht some people ware in the water, taking a swim. The older lady just boarded the sugar scoop mounted swimming ladder and did so in a bad moment.
    The waves hit the Italian boat, scoop started bouncing up and down about 5 feet. The women was hit in the face by the sugar scoop / boarding ladder and was seriously wounded.
    I rowed over to help the lady out of the water and tell them that a small clinic is in the camping ground of Galatas.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    I In the situation where you are hit by a rib and the occupants are killed, you are the one breaking the law. You are the one that will be in prison. Why do it? Comply with the law or see the law used against you.
    I have the impression you did not get it. It is not the people in the big rib that died, they ware unharmed. It ware the fisherman trying to earn a living that ware killed. And they ware carrying light according to the law. What is the use of being correct to an outdated law if you are dead ?
    As to being in prison, after a fist dispute with a big boat owner he Turkish Gendarma came to arrest me on my anchored boat and put me in jail. Yes I had seen the film Midnight express so I was not happy.
    Could leave the same day, but I learned a lot that day. A lot less explosive these days.

As to been seen, up to last year when anchored in a busy spot like Porto Cheli with its flashing high speed water taxi´s speeding trough the anchorage I used a big led spot that I directed onto a white bed sheet flapping in the wind on the foredeck. Sometimes a bit noisy.
    We have to be extra careful, dark boat.

How do people manage to sleep at night when anchored in these high speed anchoring areas. You have to put a lot of trust in the drivers of these boats or lose a lot of sleep I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBawley View Post
    I have the impression you did not get it. It is not the people in the big rib that died, they ware unharmed. It ware the fisherman trying to earn a living that ware killed. And they ware carrying light according to the law. What is the use of being correct to an outdated law if you are dead ?
    As to being in prison, after a fist dispute with a big boat owner he Turkish Gendarma came to arrest me on my anchored boat and put me in jail. Yes I had seen the film Midnight express so I was not happy.
    Could leave the same day, but I learned a lot that day. A lot less explosive these days.

As to been seen, up to last year when anchored in a busy spot like Porto Cheli with its flashing high speed water taxi´s speeding trough the anchorage I used a big led spot that I directed onto a white bed sheet flapping in the wind on the foredeck. Sometimes a bit noisy.
    We have to be extra careful, dark boat.
    I get it! I can read what you say. The answer is not to add multicoloured lights. If everybody adopted your approach you wouldn't be any better off. Everybody would be flashing all sorts of colours and you wouldn't stand out. We see lots of inadequately illuminated boats. Tiny little led garden lights or no lights at all. Nobody runs in to a moored super yacht lit up like a xmas tree. The point is the boat is lit not just the lights. Just light the boat up and stay legal. I understand that a fisherman got killed but if there is a real problem with high speed craft then that needs sorting not adding coloured lights to everything. How do you determine a marked channel through an anchorage if everybody is flashing red lights! Its stupid and those using such lights in my opinion are as bad as those speeding. Both can cause accidents and injury or even death.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast