Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Spear guns and diving

Some may be interested to know carrying a spear guy as well as diving gear is iilegal in some EU country .
    It seen you may carry one or the other ,
    One boat have now had both equipment taken and may have to appear in court with possible fine .

I tho it worth bring this to the attention of those or carry both , all the years we sailed in th Med and it's the first time I heard about it , although I do know in some countries you are only aloud to dive with a club .
    This happen on Corsica.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Default Re: Spear guns and diving

It is the same in Croatia. Not sure about Greece but in Greece they are alergic to scuba diving gear (many wrecks...).. I carry full diving gear and full speargun fishing gear. Plus gear for tuna fishing which is also not alowed in Greece (probably nobody knows that- so hide away all those dry tuna tails hanging around) and Croatia. But just put all those thing somewhere nobody will find it. I do not scuba dive and fish at the same time to be clear. But tell that to stupid officers...

I have a distant memory that the BSAC or PADI have a country by country list of these rules.
    When I used to go down with my dad, a long time ago, using a CO2 gun and squashed air bottles at the same time was considered jolly unsporting, like stalking deer with a Bren gun..

Don´t know about legality of spear fishing, I still hunt for octopus using a wooden pole with a triton on it. With gear and money been more available I see more and more fully equipped snorkelling hunters. Last week, in a small bay on Hydra not bigger than a football field ten (10 ) of them ware searching for fish. I still wonder how they don´t shoot the other guys with their compressed air spear guns.
    Some have fins a metre long, are completely covered in camouflage wetsuits and even have electric propulsion. Some of those camouflage suits are so good you just see the goggles. And their eyes.

Back in the days in Turkey I knew two guys hunting professionally for lobster. They ware never caught by the coast guard, although everyone knew what they ware up to. Sold to the bay restaurants.
    Every time the Coast guard vessel visited the bay ( and restaurant ) they left with a package under their arm.

I'm not completely sure of the law (or custom) in Greece on this. I do know of many sailors in Greece who carry both scuba gear and spear guns but I've never heard of anyone being challenged because of that. Although, as we all know, it's rare for a boat to be inspected that closely, which might be why nobody has been caught. I do know that if they see you in the water with scuba gear and a spear gun you are likely to be in some trouble.
    Mostly harmless....

Some places are designated nature reserves.
    There’s no blindingly obvious signs and it’s easy to forget you are in one or around one after a few days .
    You can only scuba dive in designated places in them with designated clubs / guides who operate the dive boats .
    Naturally wild life is protected .
    As mentioned tuna and other fish have seasons and probably licensed as well .

You have just gotta be careful what you are doing , when and where .

I used to have a spear gun ,but it broke and I never replaced it .
    I have a dive bottle for stern gear hygiene. So conscious of that activity being miss interpreted by over jealous officials out to “do “ red ensigns .
    Last edited by Portofino; 14-08-19 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cross View Post
    I'm not completely sure of the law (or custom) in Greece on this. I do know of many sailors in Greece who carry both scuba gear and spear guns but I've never heard of anyone being challenged because of that. Although, as we all know, it's rare for a boat to be inspected that closely, which might be why nobody has been caught. I do know that if they see you in the water with scuba gear and a spear gun you are likely to be in some trouble.
    As far as I am aware one needs a special permit in Greece to use bottles. Free diving with a spear gun is allowed.
    You are right though, if the PP see you, you'll wish they hadn't.
    There biggest no,no is the finding, removing and the taking of ancient artifacts, this is definitely a serious position to be in.

I don't know now but when we first arrived in Greece many years ago , there was no diving with bottles unless you was with a diving club or school .
    How I know this , because two days in Greece we had one hell of a problem just having bottles on boards , lucky we was loud to keep them but we had to empty all the air out .
    Since then we not carried bottle just a power dive .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I have a distant memory that the BSAC or PADI have a country by country list of these rules.
    When I used to go down with my dad, a long time ago, using a CO2 gun and squashed air bottles at the same time was considered jolly unsporting, like stalking deer with a Bren gun..
    Not only unsporting, but if diving with a buddy, as most people do, it’s downright dangerous.

Spearguns should be for snorkelling or free diving only.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast