Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Spear guns and diving

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Scuba in Ria Formosa is banned without license from PM who won't issue to recreational divers. Up to €1k fine and confiscation of gear if caught.
    I dived in the Ria in 1982 but I was covered because I was teaching the Algarve's first bombeiros mergulhadores. There were neither police nor firemen qualified in those days.
    Dum spiro spero. Cras ingens iterabimus aequor.

Quote Originally Posted by 25931 View Post
    I dived in the Ria in 1982 but I was covered because I was teaching the Algarve's first bombeiros mergulhadores. There were neither police nor firemen qualified in those days.
    We have a stupid situation in that they won't allow us to check our own moorings unless commercially qualified so just have to do it when PM not around which is a bit difficult for me as my mooring is next to theirs.

In Mandraki Rhodos some guy had the monopoly on diving in the port. Theoretical it was to prevent thieves of taking artefacts from the bottom, in reality it was a good business. Every day some yachts had their anchor chain stuck to something on the bottom. So this diver was called and he cleared the anchors at a high price. What he also did was fouling some other anchors so he had a good job the next day.

I was on the floating pontoon, ( long gone now ) and my dinghy came untied, I had to dive in and get it. Whilst I was in the dirty water I had a look at my anchor. It was fould. My chain had two tight turns around the ribs of some iron wreck, the ribs just sticking a foot out of the bottom.
    While untangling them I noticed an other anchor chain wrapped the same way. Untangled also.
    I was lucky no one noticed me in the water.
    It was simply impossible to have tangled my chain like that, I more bows-to, go in one strait line to the berth. I often use a stern anchor.
    I was in some other places where the same happened, always cleared the anchor myself while the diver was looking and waiting for me to call for help.

I believe (though I have no evidence) that it is illegal in Greece for anyone to dive (with or without tanks) in a port or harbour unless specifically authorised (presumably by the PP).
    Mostly harmless....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cross View Post
    I believe (though I have no evidence) that it is illegal in Greece for anyone to dive (with or without tanks) in a port or harbour unless specifically authorised (presumably by the PP).
    Yes, could well be. A very profitable opportunity for some. Just half an hour ago I read in a Dutch blog that the diver in Monemvasia has daily work untangling anchors. . Knowing Monemvasia very well I am not surprised.
    I have helped people out who ware in trouble anchoring of the N outer wall of the harbour.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBawley View Post
    Yes, could well be. A very profitable opportunity for some. Just half an hour ago I read in a Dutch blog that the diver in Monemvasia has daily work untangling anchors. . Knowing Monemvasia very well I am not surprised.
    I have helped people out who ware in trouble anchoring of the N outer wall of the harbour.
    To be fair I think it's more of a safety issue than ensuring that Sprios has lots of work. With boats moving in and out at random intervals an inexperienced diver could get into some trouble...
    Mostly harmless....

You mean been run down by a speed monster ? In Greece ?

You mean been run down by a speed monster ? In Greece ?
    That's a very nice segue, but no. More likely a slow moving small fishing boat with a skipper who is familiar with the port, who is not paying much attention to what is around him, and is concentrating on filling his pipe...!
    Mostly harmless....

I think there more change of getting a mouth full of someone pump out when diving in a marina or port then getting run over while your tighted up to a pontoon / harbour wall , especially if you med moored .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Me too and he wasn't very pleased , but hey who cares .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast