Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Spear guns and diving

An example of Mediterranean law keeping.
    I was anchored near a small island. A professional octopus fisher was taking some stuff from the bottom with a long poled tool, I rowed over to learn.
    He explained he was collecting urchins for a special orthodox ritual, one day a year everybody has to eat some urchins to get to heaven. He sold the urchins for 50 euro cents a piece in the village.
    All the time talking to he me he was scanning the sea around us, acting weird, and he told me collecting urchins is forbidden by law. Something to do with preservation. I did not really believe him, urchins are everywhere. He was probably afraid I would sell some too.
    He said while scanning the sea that the coast guard ware heavy on it, they could even confiscate the boat. Interesting.
    Two hours later I saw the coast guard rib approaching the little island. Prepared myself mentally for “ PAPERS “
    Not the case at all, they came to collect urchins.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBawley View Post
    An example of Mediterranean law keeping.
    I was anchored near a small island. A professional octopus fisher was taking some stuff from the bottom with a long poled tool, I rowed over to learn.
    He explained he was collecting urchins for a special orthodox ritual, one day a year everybody has to eat some urchins to get to heaven. He sold the urchins for 50 euro cents a piece in the village.
    All the time talking to he me he was scanning the sea around us, acting weird, and he told me collecting urchins is forbidden by law. Something to do with preservation. I did not really believe him, urchins are everywhere. He was probably afraid I would sell some too.
    He said while scanning the sea that the coast guard ware heavy on it, they could even confiscate the boat. Interesting.
    Two hours later I saw the coast guard rib approaching the little island. Prepared myself mentally for “ PAPERS “
    Not the case at all, they came to collect urchins.
    Then asked you for your papers , or was there a football game about to start
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Good one.
    Come to think of it, I have never been asked to show my papers while on the water. That is in Greece. Turkey was way different. Often twice a week. Italy the same. Really harassed. France only in harbours.

Well as I sure you know , we spend most of this season in Italy, France and now in Sardinia, and only once have we been asked to report to the CG office , and that was in the harbour of Sanreno ,
    only to arrived in the office and be asked for my telephone number and being told I can stay free of charge for 48 hours and if I want to stay long to go back and let them know ,
    I did pass over my papers and the guy said he didn't need them just a phone number in case we need to get hold of you .
    Just goes to show how people can have very different experiences of the same countries.
    Last time we did this trip was in 2013 and we had the same experience then.
    We enjoyed it so much we plain to do the same trip next season ,
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 24-08-19 at 19:58.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234