Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Duplex on a Baofeng handheld

There are a couple of different models. One of them has FM, mine doesn't.
    By the way, I bought a cable to program mine, but ended up doing it manually as the software (both chirp and the disk that came with the cable) wasn't compatible with the firmware version.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks View Post
    There are a couple of different models. One of them has FM, mine doesn't.
    By the way, I bought a cable to program mine, but ended up doing it manually as the software (both chirp and the disk that came with the cable) wasn't compatible with the firmware version.
    I have a UV-5R III and it has FM.

I've read many cases of the cable not working and this is almost always due to it being a knock-off copy. The genuine cable costs almost as much as the radio but it's money well spent. It takes a while to master the grey art of using CHIRP software but once mastered it's a thousand times quicker to program the radio compared to the frustration of trying to do it manually. I have 120 channels programmed on mine (it's capable of holding significantly more), it would take an eternity to do this manually.

Thanks Dave. David sent me the spreadsheet and I have handset programmed the device, so good to go. However, I am ordering the cable and will download Davids version via Chirp once I have it.

Thanks GHA, appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Also, just remembered that the factory squelch settings are pretty useless and can only be altered to something useful with the chirp software , think this covers it >>
    http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Squelch.php

That's one to watch out for. Thanks Gus

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    You would find the performance well short of your icom, as you would be operating outside of rules so to speak, have you looked at getting your icom opened up to outside Ham bands?
    My 2M / 70cm handheld is an IC32E (I did say it was old) I would be interested if that can be unlocked to other frequencies. But that only has a basic numeric display to show frequency, so even if it could be enabled for the marine band it would only show frequency with no ability to give "names" to the channels.

I also have 2 other ex PMR icom handhelds, an ICM12 and an ICH16, both of these are programmed for marine channels.

It is handy that they all have interchangable battery packs (though have to beware the ICM12 can only take the lower voltage packs).

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    Ch 0 is a simplex channel so I donít think that you could inhibit transmit (but Iím not an expert). If it were duplex, it would be easy to inhibit the transmit/receive offset.
    You can - see: https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/211
    The radio doesn't need to know its simplex, so effectively you make it duplex but tell it to Tx on 000Mhz - which it knows it can't do and so disables Tx.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123