Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Litium batteries instead of a generator - will I be able to run my AC?

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    So on shorepower you use 3 phase only for AC? Is the 40amps at 240v correct?
    40 amps at 240v single phase is ballpark correct for 60000 btu/hr airco at full load. Youíd normally take that as a single phase dock supply. Boats are wired to take 3 phase from the dock at say 28 metres upwards. But below that size many boats with 60k btu/hr a/c will take a single phase supply from genset or dock and then convert to 3phase on board using a VFD, to power the a/c compressor motor.

Not sure if that answers your Q, so just saying.

As others have said, this much a/c canít feasibly be done without a generator.

Default Re: Litium batteries instead of a generator - will I be able to run my AC?

Anyhow, at the boat show I came across thermowellmarine.com who had their Air Jet 12 on display. Itís a 8,800 BTU/h 12v DC unit. Now I realize that this is not powerful enough for you (60,000 btu) but it was running off one moderately sized wet leisure battery. So could scale up. At full pelt it draws 85 amp hours. So it wonít run all night without a recharge. But it shows anything is possible
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Thumbs up Re: Litium batteries instead of a generator - will I be able to run my AC?

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Anyhow, at the boat show I came across thermowellmarine.com who had their Air Jet 12 on display. Itís a 8,800 BTU/h 12v DC unit. Now I realize that this is not powerful enough for you (60,000 btu) but it was running off one moderately sized wet leisure battery. So could scale up. At full pelt it draws 85 amp hours. So it wonít run all night without a recharge. But it shows anything is possible
    10.5 A gets 42, 000 btu or 16 A for 60,000 ď full pelt ď with this kit .
    http://www.frigomar.com/images/PDF/F...ter-DC_eng.pdf
    I have the 42 ,000 unit and not mentioned here itís silent a big plus . Itís Eco function ( once chilled ) is only 3.5 A .

Std measurements for my 14.5 M boat came to near 30 K btu so with a 42 K max I donít think it ever gets near itís ď full pelt ď 10.5 A
    You can never have enough AC in the Med .

At full pelt it draws 85 amp hours. So it wonít run all night without a recharge.
    I'm tempted to say whats the point then? Are you going to set your alarm clock for 3am in order to start up the generator in order to save your batteries? Or is there some kind of system which switches the unit off when the battery voltage sinks below a pre set level? I could see this unit being useful for cooling the master cabin overnight on say a 100ft yacht which is likely to have enough battery capacity but yachts that size tend to run one of their generators all night anyway

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I'm tempted to say whats the point then? Are you going to set your alarm clock for 3am in order to start up the generator in order to save your batteries? Or is there some kind of system which switches the unit off when the battery voltage sinks below a pre set level? I could see this unit being useful for cooling the master cabin overnight on say a 100ft yacht which is likely to have enough battery capacity but yachts that size tend to run one of their generators all night anyway
    Well, I’m not here to defend the product but the bloke said that it’s to get the room down to a comfortable temp then turn it off. As Porto says, over spec everything then it never runs at full draw on your batteries. The smart charger could turn on your genny or have lots of batteries and lots of solar. I don’t know, it’s not for me.
    But I was very interested in their DIY model, which was all self contained, 16,000 BTU hours. Supposedly easy to install. But you might need a couple and then will it be too noisy?
    Porto’s inverter technology aircon (nothing to do with battery inverters) looks good but is nearly £12,000 for a 42,000 BTU hour model plus installation. So it’s expensive

Well, Iím not here to defend the product but the bloke said that itís to get the room down to a comfortable temp then turn it off.
    Well yes it should be temperature controlled but youre going to be asleep and youre not going to know whether its switched itself off and youre not going to know when it starts again in the morning because you'll still be sleeping off Lord JCB's plonk. In any case, if it works like my aircon does, when the cabin reaches a preset temperature, the air handler for that cabin switches off but the compressors for the chiller unit still keep cutting in intermittently to maintain the chilled water temp. So a big question for me would be does the whole unit switch itself off when the cabin reaches a preset temp or just the air fan? If the former, then yes if you set a reasonably high temp, you could expect to leave the unit switched on for 8hrs and still have serviceable batteries in the morning

But I was very interested in their DIY model, which was all self contained, 16,000 BTU hours. Supposedly easy to install. But you might need a couple and then will it be too noisy?
    Possibly. The reason that most aircon systems on boats are separated systems with the chiller compressors in the engine bay and only the air handlers close to the cabins is because the compressors are noisy. With self contained units I'd want to be sure that the noise from the compressor doesnt disturb my sleep otherwise its a bit pointless fitting the units. Many years ago I owned a Fairline Targa 48 and Fairline chose to fit cheapo crappy self contained HFL aircon units in each cabin space with the unit for the master cabin being installed directly under the bed. It was so damned noisy/vibey that it was impossible to sleep in the master cabin with the aircon unit switched on

Just out of interest what kind of system does Beneteau fit to your boat had you specified it from new? That would be a good starting point for your considerations

Just out of interest what kind of system does Beneteau fit to your boat had you specified it from new? That would be a good starting point for your considerations
    Yes, it would. At present all I know is that it’s 34,000 BTU hours. The problem is, on a long production run they sometimes change suppliers. There is a new ST35 on a pontoon close to me, it looks fully loaded, I could ask the owner. But that would involve talking to strangers so it probably won’t happen

But that would involve talking to strangers so it probably wonít happen
    And in French too so thats out

And in French too so thats out
    I was doing well at the boat show talking French to the Italians

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast