Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Roscoff anchorages

Anyone know of good anchorages in and around Roscoff?
    Obviously good holding and fairly close access to roscoff would be great.
    The secret anchorage book I have is years old and most of the areas described down south are gone so need a little up to date info if any one has it?

Default Re: Roscoff anchorages

For this area I suggest it would be useful to know what draft for the boat, can the boat dry out and springs or neaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Channel Sailor View Post
    For this area I suggest it would be useful to know what draft for the boat, can the boat dry out and springs or neaps?
    Yes sorry
    1.9m fin keel. She can dry against a wall but wouldn’t want that. Anchored somewhere in good holding.
    Both criteria would be good Channel sailor as it would give me a longer time there to plan. Thanks.

Bloscon was always a recognised anchorage in the days before the marina and I am sure there would be no problem as long as you go outside the port limits in 3mts opposite the southern end of the new breakwater, swell may be a problem and, despite appearances, it was always untenable in Southerlies.

Apart from that, all the suggestions in your book are still available. To the north of Roscoff the Ile Pighet spot sprouted a lot of moorings which were charged for but these have now gone, it's busy. There is now one large buoy which is probably mainly used by working boats waiting for the tide into the harbour. If you use it, you will likely spend the night banging into it - the same thing with the one in the up-river anchorage at Pen Lann. Pen Lann has iffy holding but a nice walk into Carentec where there is basic shopping and a nice swimming beach. North of Carentec there is still lots of room to anchor but also a number of mooring buoys if you prefer - it's a shallow bay and they are a fair way out.

Ile Batz is a good spot and tends to have less swell than most others around, depending on tide there is good room to the east of the landing jetty either outside the vedette moorings or further in/towards the beaches.

If you can dry easily and want to spend some time in Roscoff, you might consider a drying berth on the inside of the old mole. It always looks fairly quiet and is probably inexpensive.

There used to be some visitors buoys near the E end of Ile de Batz, not sure if they are still there.
    Unfortunately Roscoff harbour drys, but I have seen boats lean against the N wall.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

If you are in Roscoff marina, visit Pol de Leon (bus or bike) it's a lovely little town.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    There used to be some visitors buoys near the E end of Ile de Batz, not sure if they are still there.
    I used to use those years ago but Doug748's post suggests they are no longer available. A pity because they were useful for an overnight stop en route to L'Abervrac'h.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Main reason for asking the questions is that from my limited experience in that area it makes quite a difference to what your available options are. At 1.9m draft and you want to anchor then I would advise go during Neaps only. I would suggest avoid completely the anchoring/exploring the area if the wind is from between NE through to NW and of any consequence. Reason to avoid Springs is because of the strength of the tide in the possible anchorages which for me adds a hassle factor, at Neaps more depth of water at low tide while closer in (assuming you want to stay afloat) and more room for other boats. The reduced rise of tide at Neap HW does make it trickier for rock hopping navigation.

I have only anchored in the area just SE of Porz Kernok, which in the shallower areas involved drying out just south of Ile Aukuint. But a little further south into the main passage one can stay afloat. Holding was very good. Currents can be strong here, esp' Springs. I sheltered here from a north wind and was surprised at how some of the wind still came over the island. With this anchorage getting into the location from the west needs obvious navigation care and more importantly have your options ready getting back that way or out east if needed unexpectedly. With a nice calm high pressure weather system stuck over you, then sure it is interesting navigation and pretty.

I have been up river to Morliax. I was looking for places to anchor but don't recall finding anywhere so ended up going though the lock (at around an hour either side of HW) into Morlaix marina, a lovely place and very sheltered. I don't recall seeing as useful chart marked anchorage south of Penn al Lann so maybe it had local moorings cluttering up anchoring space or it was not that sheltered as I passed by. This anchorage is mentioned in the Morlaix Port guide as a place to wait for the tide before going up river and waiting for daylight to navigate up but as mentioned above the local working boats maybe use it a lot. To navigate the Morlaix river you need daylight and arrive at HW + -1hr, which is rather restrictive. I don't know if you can still dry out against the rough stone wall on (soft I recall) mud in the old coaster berth just prior to the Morlaix lock, because this can offer a few more options.

Anchoring off the Bloscon marina entrance I only viewed for a functional temporary pause, again avoiding Springs due to my expectations for tidal currents/chop/swell in wind against tide situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Channel Sailor View Post
    Main reason for asking the questions is that from my limited experience in that area it makes quite a difference to what your available options are. At 1.9m draft and you want to anchor then I would advise go during Neaps only. I would suggest avoid completely the anchoring/exploring the area if the wind is from between NE through to NW and of any consequence. Reason to avoid Springs is because of the strength of the tide in the possible anchorages which for me adds a hassle factor, at Neaps more depth of water at low tide while closer in (assuming you want to stay afloat) and more room for other boats. The reduced rise of tide at Neap HW does make it trickier for rock hopping navigation.

I have only anchored in the area just SE of Porz Kernok, which in the shallower areas involved drying out just south of Ile Aukuint. But a little further south into the main passage one can stay afloat. Holding was very good. Currents can be strong here, esp' Springs. I sheltered here from a north wind and was surprised at how some of the wind still came over the island. With this anchorage getting into the location from the west needs obvious navigation care and more importantly have your options ready getting back that way or out east if needed unexpectedly. With a nice calm high pressure weather system stuck over you, then sure it is interesting navigation and pretty.

I have been up river to Morliax. I was looking for places to anchor but don't recall finding anywhere so ended up going though the lock (at around an hour either side of HW) into Morlaix marina, a lovely place and very sheltered. I don't recall seeing as useful chart marked anchorage south of Penn al Lann so maybe it had local moorings cluttering up anchoring space or it was not that sheltered as I passed by. This anchorage is mentioned in the Morlaix Port guide as a place to wait for the tide before going up river and waiting for daylight to navigate up but as mentioned above the local working boats maybe use it a lot. To navigate the Morlaix river you need daylight and arrive at HW + -1hr, which is rather restrictive. I don't know if you can still dry out against the rough stone wall on (soft I recall) mud in the old coaster berth just prior to the Morlaix lock, because this can offer a few more options.

Anchoring off the Bloscon marina entrance I only viewed for a functional temporary pause, again avoiding Springs due to my expectations for tidal currents/chop/swell in wind against tide situations.
    Going up the river to Morlaix you can anchor below No. 4 port-hand buoy, taking care to avoid the mussel beds marked by withies.
    I've done it several times over-night over the years without problems, so the holding is good.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Thankyou all for taking the time to reply. It’s a great help with knowledge form others who have been there and done it as it were.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast