Default Volvo Penta D12 675 fault/serious fault light

My fault light sometimes comes on when I am up on plane.

I had the local Volvo tech inspect the engines, then plug the computer in and they ran diagnostics etc. She has a clean bill of health. Obviously that's good...but what are the other triggers for this light.

Thanks

light.jpg

Default Re: Volvo Penta D12 675 fault/serious fault light

All sorts of electrical gremlins can cause this light to flash. When I've seen it (on a D4) , its been due to an erroneous signal from a failing/failed sensor, or a bad connection to the sensor. But I would have thought your volvo tech would see some errors in the logs that allow you to pinpoint the cause.

Next time you get the light , you can press some buttons on the control panel (cant remember which buttons,but your manual has the details) and it will flash out a code which might help, but dont turn the engine off until you have done this, as this seems to erase the code. Once you have the code,you can then look in the manual and see what the code means.

The issue is that invariably the problem occurs at a time that isnt convenient for getting the ecu to flash out the fault code, so you need to remember to get it to flash out the code later in the journey when its convenient, but before you turn the engine off.

Mine do it all the time. I ignore them !

Sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere. I would go all over the engines, unplug everything one at a time and spray the contacts with contact cleaner. Then reconnect a few times to clean the pins.

Same here we have 715 d12’s. and had these lights randomly coming on, because the system incorporates all level sensors fuel and water tanks it only takes a bad contact somewhere to trigger a fault . I systematically went round every sensor and removed and replaced the plugs and fingers crossed no warnings this year. ......

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S123 View Post
    My fault light sometimes comes on when I am up on plane.

I had the local Volvo tech inspect the engines, then plug the computer in and they ran diagnostics etc. She has a clean bill of health. Obviously that's good...but what are the other triggers for this light.

Thanks

light.jpg
    I have the same issue every now and again It usually goes away if you push the button on the ECU or shut the engine and turn the keys full left at the helm. I actually had a technician come and look because it is always the battery voltage light and wanted to check that the alternator was charging the batteries. No problems with the alternators on either side so I suspect faulty connection somewhere.