Default What paint to use when touching up lettering?

I want to touch up some black lettering on my white fibre-glass boat. What paint is best? Obviously it needs to be able to cope with sea water, sun, cleaning agents...

Cheers!

Default Re: What paint to use when touching up lettering?

Is the lettering originally painted on, or is it self-adhesive vinyl? If it is the former a one-pack marine paint would suit, (or Sandtex 10-Year Polyeurethane!). If the latter you will need to obtain some self-adhesive vinyl and patch it in. A few square inches of offcut material can probably be got FOC from your local supplier of shop signage or vehicle wraps.

A tube of Artist quality Acrylic paint (costs less than €8) applied with a good brush and a steady hand. The first two will be found in an art-supply shop; the third might not be as easy.

Note that "Artist Quality" paint, unlike 'Student Grade', contains much more pigment and is usually more light-fast.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    A tube of Artist quality Acrylic paint (costs less than €8) applied with a good brush and a steady hand. The first two will be found in an art-supply shop; the third might not be as easy.

Note that "Artist Quality" paint, unlike 'Student Grade', contains much more pigment and is usually more light-fast.
    That would work, but if you want a gloss finish any enamel would probably do the job. You probably won't have an undercoat, so a good clean will be necessary to get it to key.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by ChasB View Post
    I want to touch up some black lettering on my white fibre-glass boat. What paint is best? Obviously it needs to be able to cope with sea water, sun, cleaning agents...

Cheers!
    Seeing as you possibly need small quantities then try model paints as used on model planes etc. . You can get Acrylic and enamel in all colours I would go for the latter.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    Seeing as you possibly need small quantities then try model paints as used on model planes etc. . You can get Acrylic and enamel in all colours I would go for the latter.
    Yes - Humbrol is your friend.

Sorry for late reply. Busy on boat!

Will this do do you rerckon? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winsor-Newt.../dp/B00LHTF4R2

Will it stand up to oxalic acid based cleaners?

And what's the solvent/cleaner for this? White spirit? Will acetone do? I'm only anticipating small errors.

Cheers!