Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gin Palace ditch crawlers going racing for the first time, help!

Hi Gents,

A bit of backround to start. Myself and two friends have been renting our way around inland waterways for the last ten years and would like to expand our horizons a little. Sailing seems like the next logical avenue for us to explore.After doing some research we've discovered that it's not all black magic and random zig zagging to assert dominance over us boat renters, so we've decided to give it a go.

Before doing something rash like buying a bloody boat or jumping into dayskipper and competent crew and all that malarkey I decided to ring up a few yacht clubs. The long and the short of it is that our potential to achieve great things as movable ballast has finally been recognised by a few nice chaps who race cruisers.

Wanting to make a good first impression, what are our do's and do not's?

In other words, how can we at least be a tolerable nuisance to these nice chaps?

Default Re: Gin Palace ditch crawlers going racing for the first time, help!

I hope they are nice chaps. I know a few people who have been put off sailing after volunteering as racing crew where, many, though not all, skippers sprout horns after the starting gun. There is also limited scope for learning the ropes in a race as everyone is busy doing their thing. If you don't fancy the RYA courses, and you'll be more experienced than most comp crew candidates, then maybe try Crewseekers or similar for more relaxed sailing.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Ask questions! If youíre complete newbies, then itís far better to pipe up and say you donít understand than to blunder round doing the wrong thing....

The other thing you and your mates could consider is doing a flotilla holiday in somewhere like Greece, especially on the shoulders of the season when things wonít be too busy and the costs are lower. Great introduction to sailing, nice weather, no tides. Theyíre designed to cope with complete newcomers and their staff are really good at delivering a good experience. If you find that suits, then the next step could be RYA courses etc.

Soft shoes and some Tunnock's wafers.

Obey orders, and don't be afraid to ask or indicate when you think something is wrong or hazardous.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Sit on the high side and dangle your legs overboard. Always take a turn round something when line handling, friction is your friend. Concentrate on the task you've been asked to do.

Second the sentiment of choosing your race boat carefully. Even though I love sailing and have my own boat, I ended up with a miserable weekend on a race boat and swore never to do that again! Also second the flotilla idea. Also ask at the club if there is anyone who will take you out for a sail sail. A cruise not a race, is an easier place to learn.

If you can turn up for every race in a season then the two of you can have a lot of fun by becoming part of a team and it will be worth the skippers time to show you the ropes. If you just want to turn up once or twice then racing is not a good idea. As others have said see if you can get on a cruise or find a skipper wanting crew for a longer or try it on a flotila. Real sailng , using the wind to get you places, is a delight which everyone should sample
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

1) Be completely honest about your level of knowledge.
    2) Don't ask non-essential questions right before the start or at high stress moments like mark roundings or crossing other boats.
    3) start by being prepared to be live ballast, work your way up.
    4) Bring cake or chocolate.

As skipper I try to get beginners to work with a nominated person, e.g. Kev the trimmer will take responsibility for a grinder or sheet-releaser etc. When we get any practice time, I try to move everyone around every job, within reason.

Similar background as an 8 year liveaboard who actually moves their boat. I think one of the Ionian flotillas (Sailing Holidays) will still ...get around the ICC requirements and let you on a smaller yacht without any qualifications. They help you park it, and the sailing is mostly short distanced and relaxed enough to be ok when you have no clue what you are doing. Though on our first ever day on on of their yachts we ended up in a squall gusting 40kt while motoring round and round in circles panicking trying to find jackets and harnesses, stiff drink afterwards and I (at least) was fine. Second time out after day skipper 'qualification' our anchor dragged when another squall blew straight into our anchorage and our jib roller jammed in the evening katabatic and now if I even mention sailing I get The Look.

I however am obsessed and want my own proper boat.
    Last edited by ryanroberts; 17-08-19 at 07:50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast