Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Default Re: Gin Palace ditch crawlers going racing for the first time, help!

Learn to play the bagpipes, everyone loves a good toot as your going along.

Quote Originally Posted by yesCDWplease View Post
    After doing some research we've discovered that it's not all black magic and random zig zagging to assert dominance over us boat renters
    I strongly suspect you have come to the wrong conclusions.
    Before doing something rash like buying a bloody boat or jumping into dayskipper and competent crew and all that malarkey I decided to ring up a few yacht clubs. The long and the short of it is that our potential to achieve great things as movable ballast has finally been recognised by a few nice chaps who race cruisers.
    You are brave, very brave.

In other words, how can we at least be a tolerable nuisance to these nice chaps?
    Find a boat who does not race. Crew for them, drink lots of tea and buy them a drink in the bar you will learn far more.

I spent one day on a race boat and never again, the skipper managed his crew by shouting at them when clearly he was not in control of the boat.

I've been on crusing boats where the skipper had been a competitive racer. He would not stop tweaking lines all the time and there was a distinct lack of tea, a cardnal sin in my book.

There is a school of thought that says you MUST start in a tiny wee dingy and have a wet bum for weeks on end to learn how to sail; ignore that school. The tea making facilities on dingies are rubbish although I have been impressed with the Dingly Crusing Association and some of their boats.
    Last edited by Sandy; 17-08-19 at 08:10.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    .....and there was a distinct lack of tea, a cardinal sin in my book.
    What's with all this tea drinking rubbish? Grow up man, learn to drink your rum, whisky, or, for the occifer class, your gin.

Get to the club early. If at all possible try to get a practice sail beforehand to get a feel for what ropes you need to pull. Skippers who struggle for crew often are the shouty ones who blame the crew for their failures. Bring any necessary kit , waterproofs, LJ, boots and gloves. Concentrate and keep quiet, especially at the start and rounding buoys. Offer the skipper and regular crew a drink afterwards. Some clubs run racing classes, if so do them sometimes there are club cruises and newcomers welcome.

Find a really calm day for your first race. I had a great day racing once in. A GK24 in zero wind in Cowes week where the entire fleet drifted forwards and backwards while some enterprising crew brought out a sax and trumpet etc. No one seemed to win but a memorable Cowes week and some fun people on board who just enjoyed being on the water .

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    What's with all this tea drinking rubbish? Grow up man, learn to drink your rum, whisky, or, for the occifer class, your gin.
    As a Highland Scot there is always a good bottle of malt aboard

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    I hope they are nice chaps. I know a few people who have been put off sailing after volunteering as racing crew where, many, though not all, skippers sprout horns after the starting gun. There is also limited scope for learning the ropes in a race as everyone is busy doing their thing. If you don't fancy the RYA courses, and you'll be more experienced than most comp crew candidates, then maybe try Crewseekers or similar for more relaxed sailing.
    After the gun?
    th etorns are usually being sharpened as soon as you step on board
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12