Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: VHF / Chartplotter integration for DSC (MOB)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    A DSC distress alert from a HH or a fixed unit will do the necessary on a DSC radio. So my understanding of the Ocean Signal MOB1 - is it will do that using DSC as a CH70 DSC alert with distress type MOB. Then continue to send AIS messages with position updates.
    Wow, talking of nonsense, have you looked at the MOB1 FAQs? The bit where it suggests which VHF radios might or might not receive an Individual Distress Relay call correctly? You'll find it here - http://oceansignal.com/products/mob1/#faqs

It is a shame some posters enter a discussion with misanthropy. It seems so unnecessary.

The mob-1 apparently sends an individual call to the mmsi you program into it. It only sends an all ships distress if you hold down the on key for 5 seconds.

My old icom 603 isn't explicit about about what it sends to the plotter. It definitely sends position reports. I've never seen it plot a distress message although the plotter is supposedly capable of doing so.

This seems to be the best non-nmea reference for DSC/DSE sentences:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...Datagrams.html

I'd have thought that the plb would have been the best choice for a single handed if you could only choose one, but you can carry ais and plb. I generally sail 2 up. My partner's lifejacket has an mob-1 attached to the inflation tube of her lifejacket and a plb in a pouch on the waist strap

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    The mob-1 apparently sends an individual call to the mmsi you program into it. It only sends an all ships distress if you hold down the on key for 5 seconds.
    They say the all ships is not allowed in UK?

Not sure how that is determined! It could be they put it in the manual. In which case if I'm feeling loanly watching my boat sail away without seeing me, I can still press it and worry about the (non) consequences later. It could be a factory mode which may or may not be user programmed. It could I guess use GPS fix. I'd want to know!

My old icom 603 isn't explicit about about what it sends to the plotter. It definitely sends position reports. I've never seen it plot a distress message although the plotter is supposedly capable of doing so.

I'd have thought that the plb would have been the best choice for a single handed if you could only choose one, but you can carry ais and plb. I generally sail 2 up. My partner's lifejacket has an mob-1 attached to the inflation tube of her lifejacket and a plb in a pouch on the waist strap
    For a single hander... I'd have thought it offers very limited value! It is really intended as a "come back and get me" device. With some degree of escalation *if* you can all ships distress alert. All ships is manual. So is it any better than a epirb style plb using sats? Quicker if there is a boat local, less reliable if there isn't.

One of the country modes has a sort of cascading level of alert where if you haven't been rescued (switched off device) in a certain number of minutes it will then all ships. Sounds quite clever.

I'd want to be able to choose my mode based on my sailing! Single handed, underway. Full automatic. Single handed in harbour (the only time non dinghy sailing I've ended up in the water - stepped off the edge of a slip way. Stood up. Was only waist deep but LJ has popped). Manual. Group sailing underway, escalation sounds acceptable although I still think if I end up in the water 1mile off the shore underway things went wrong enough I'm happy to have resources sent out for me even if I'm rescued by my own crew.

If it matters the Chart plotter in question is a Raymarine E95 and the receiving VHF radio a SH GX2200 - that can be configured to send AIS and DSC sentences via 38400 to the CP

As a rule for offshore work I think HH VHF / AIS is probably only much use to alert your own boat as you would be luck to have any other vessel within range if you are bobbing up and down on the waves - so not really much use for single handed - whereas the PLB will alert the rescue services but doesn't help your own boat find you.

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    If it matters the Chart plotter in question is a Raymarine E95 and the receiving VHF radio a SH GX2200 - that can be configured to send AIS and DSC sentences via 38400 to the CP
    Specifically listed as compatible with distress relay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12