Default Using a bow fender to stow anchor on roller

Our Knox sits on the roller but the stainless tang down the bow is not wide enough to guarantee peace of mind.

Has anyone successfully used one of those wee bow fenders to push the anchor out a bit and keep it off the gelcoat?

- W

Default Re: Using a bow fender to stow anchor on roller

Yes. I have exactly this set up on my LM27 with a 13kg Knox. I put a lashing around the shank of the anchor and pull it off the horizontal so that the fluke sits out more to the one side and cushioned against the fender. The lashing is pulled around on horn of the port side fairlead, sent across over the top of the shank to the stb'd fairlead, and finally back to the shank where it is turned around the bunch of line and made fast with a half hitch. Have been out in some bouncy seas and it stood up to the test.

I have the same problem with a rocna. Solved by two small bits of ply joined by a rubber hinge made rom tyre inner tube to protect the bow. Attached with a couple of bungy cords and clips to the toe rail. Works well and I’ll replace it when I get around to getting a stainless plate made. Only been using it for about 10 years. I can send a pic if you want.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

When I bought my current boat there was a foam pad on the bow. I've took the anchor off the roller and measured up and drilled a new hole for a pin to go through.

In the next few years I'm changing to a Knox and will be making sure that there is a hole in the correct position to fit the pin.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

I had two s/s plates welded onto the sides of the stemhead fitting to form a \_/ shape to hold my Delta fluke.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I replaced a Delta with a Knox last year.

The bow fitting was fitted with two rollers which held the Delta slightly nose heavy but clear of the steam.

That didn't suit the Knox at all.

I found that removing the most inboard of the two rollers levelled the Knox and lifted the flukes away from the stem. It also happens to be in balance.

The retaining pin could not be made to work without drilling a new hole in the Knox which I wasn't willing to do.

Instead I fitted a deep shackle to the deck, into which the Knox shafts fits. I have a second, twisted shackle around the roll bar. The twisted shackle's pin fits through a convenient hole in one of the steam head cheeks.

The arrangement isn't as convenient as as the single pin and I only intended to use it temporarily. But I have found it to be perfectly usable in practice.

John