Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best weather app for East coast?

My boat is 2.75 hours away from me on the East Coast. Iíve just had a weekend of sailing wasted by believing the dire warnings of the Met Office app right up until Friday night, whereas today (Saturday) the weather looks much better on the app (and also on the Deben entrance webcam). XC weather showed a much more favourable forecast than the met office from 3 days ago.

So, lesson learned, the met office got it wrong. Given the distances involved I need to have an accurate forecast 24 hours in advance to avoid wasted time and fuel. What have people found to be the best app or website for weather predictions for East Coast sailing?

Default Re: Best weather app for East coast?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    My boat is 2.75 hours away from me on the East Coast. I’ve just had a weekend of sailing wasted by believing the dire warnings of the Met Office app right up until Friday night, whereas today (Saturday) the weather looks much better on the app (and also on the Deben entrance webcam). XC weather showed a much more favourable forecast than the met office from 3 days ago.

So, lesson learned, the met office got it wrong. Given the distances involved I need to have an accurate forecast 24 hours in advance to avoid wasted time and fuel. What have people found to be the best app or website for weather predictions for East Coast sailing?
    I have good experiences with Windguru.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitane View Post
    I have good experiences with Windguru.
    +1. usually spot on. It even predicted the exact time a large thunderstorm hit, how can it do that?
    When I'm in Holland I sometimes use buienradar.nl to check for rain. I've just noticed that it does a lot more than rain and can also do local areas. Worth a look.
    Last edited by Dan Tribe; 17-08-19 at 08:20.

I find XCWeather usually agrees with Windguru and is somewhat easier to view.

I use XC most of the time associated with the Met Office rainfall radar. But I wouldn't disagree with Windguru. Windyty is quite interesting.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Thanks all. I should have just gone and see what actually arrived, but my only crew for this weekend has only been on the boat twice before and I didn’t want to put him off. Also it is about £50 in fuel to get there and back so try not to go if going to be stuck in the marina. On the other hand, due to work and other commitments my weekends free for sailing are fixed a fair way in advance. Interestingly XC weather and wind guru were both predicting lower gusts from 3 days out so lesson learned.

Just to throw another one into the mix that I find OK (but I think they're all more or less the same).

I use it for Amsterdam along with XC.

It also has a local EC weather spot that handily gives tide times and hts.

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/...-yacht-harbour

I prefer a graphic display and use Passageweather. Maybe the xc weather type is handy for local use, but if I am doing something like a crossing, the chart shows me what is happening over a wide area.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
    Just to throw another one into the mix that I find OK (but I think they're all more or less the same).

I use it for Amsterdam along with XC.

It also has a local EC weather spot that handily gives tide times and hts.

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/...-yacht-harbour
    That is handy as that is where my boat is!

Windguru is OK but it only really does wind well, and there's a lot more to weather than that.

ventusky does everything you can think of and then some and in 2 years of use I have found it extremely accurate.

https://www.ventusky.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast