Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Best weather app for East coast?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Windguru is OK but it only really does wind well, and there's a lot more to weather than that.

ventusky does everything you can think of and then some and in 2 years of use I have found it extremely accurate.

https://www.ventusky.com
    Thanks - Iíve bookmarked that one as well

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Good thread thanks. Have been relying on Windguru.

Post only to add XC weather is my first choice, then MagicSeaweed, once you can find your way around the site tracking the various weather systems gives a good indicator as to what to expect in a few days time.

https://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-...t/1/?type=wind

Meteo Consult (the app, not the website which requires a subscription to get the quality information available free on the app) has served me well on the East Coast and further afield.

A lot of them use the same data. I like Windguru but XC weather and Windfinder show the same info but present it differently. Ventuski show the wind speed at 10m above sea level (or higher). Windguru is a windsurfers site so perhaps more relevant. I've never found it way out but three days ahead is all you rely on, if that.
    Not all who wander are lost

During our summer trip to Norway we got to appreciate YR, the weather app of the Norwegian public broadcaster. We still use it at home and it remains quite reliable. Worth a try.

I will throw in Predictwind. The free version enables you to access predictions for 3 places and you can change them as many times as you like, so no need to pay for the upgraded version. Good graphical representations and shows 4 different "models". If they differ then conclude that there is a lot of uncertainty, if they are all fairly close then there is a high degree of certainty.
    Andrew

windy.com and the associated app has (imho) the best graphical display by far, and allows you to choose your forecast model. The AROME model (I'm guessing French) is the most granular (2km) but only shows next 48hrs, whilst ECMWF seems to be the current favourite for longer term forecasts. GFS is available too. You can see wind, gusts, waves, pressure, rain and a radar view - all of which have their uses...
    I've also used MeteoConsult for France - v good too. (not sure if it has an app)

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    A lot of them use the same data. I like Windguru but XC weather and Windfinder show the same info but present it differently. Ventuski show the wind speed at 10m above sea level (or higher). Windguru is a windsurfers site so perhaps more relevant. I've never found it way out but three days ahead is all you rely on, if that.
    There are only a handful of suppliers of met data worldwide so the plethora of "met" apps differ mainly in their presentation so it is mainly the preentation that suits you that makes the choice.
    Having said that the difference between 10m wind and any other surface wind is non=existant so can be dismissed - it isn't relevant. Wind measurements below that are likely to be considerably affected by surface effects, be it terrain, buildings, vegetation or waves so 10m wind (only 30ft, the top of most of our masts) is as good a choice as any.

I don't think you can 'rely' on any forecast even 3 days ahead, they are only ever an indication and the further ahead than 24hrs the less accurate they are likely to be.

Again, pick one whose presentation suits you. personally I can't get my head around Windgurus four? five? six? different parameters of prediction for the same place all with diferent Km ranges. What on earth is that all about?
    Simple graphics works for my simple mind . = Ventusky.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    There are only a handful of suppliers of met data worldwide so the plethora of "met" apps differ mainly in their presentation so it is mainly the preentation that suits you that makes the choice..
    I believe they all use the same data but the algorithms with which they process the data can differ. For instance the met office use one set of algorithms which will differ from Heidelberg University I believe. The trick is to find the source of the algorithms that you believe produce the most accurate predictions for the period you want.

For instance I used to use Weatheronline which used algorithms from Heidelberg University but got sick of their ads on my laptop and switched to BBC which was using the met office who in my opinion had become completely accurate out to 24 hours. but when the BBC switched to Meteo I found them less accurate and was looking at the Met Office direct.

Recently on an extended trip to the Baltic with only a mobile phone for information I have gone back to Weatheronline and found the app on the phone not only very accurate but relatively free of ads. Weatheronline has the advantage of providing rain, cloud, sunshine and wind rather than wind alone. Windguru and I am not sure where their algrithms are from are very good for wind and relatively accurate out to 3 days, they also show swell direction which can be useful in very large bodies of water.
    John Apps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast