Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Blake’s replacement

I’ve discovered my Blake’s inlet and outlet on the head are knackered. I can’t really justify hundreds of pounds on bronze replacements. Has anyone found marelon or similar which will simply drop into the same holes? Or do I have to go in for a load of fibreglassing and cutting of new holes? God it’s been an expensive summer...:-(
    Last edited by Gunfleet; 17-08-19 at 16:04. Reason: Auto text induced error

Default Re: Blake’s replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    I’ve discovered my Blake’s inlet and outlet on the head are knackered. I can’t really justify hundreds of pounds on bronze replacements. Has anyone found marelon or similar which will simply drop into the same holes? Or do I have to go in for a load of fibreglassing and cutting of new holes? God it’s been an expensive summer...:-(
    I think the starting point is to price up Blakes replacements, which presumably will just drop in without too much drama. Then price up alternative skin fittings, valves and hose tails, together with details of how much aggravation might be involved in fitting them. You might find that the premium for simple like-for-like replacement becomes attractive.

If you don’t want like for like, I think standard DZR brass skin fittings and ball valves are more likely to fit the holes than Marelon.

Pete

The Marelon fittings tend to have a larger external diameter than the bronze for the same nominal internal (pipe) size. (I had to open out the holes in the hull when I replaced (non Blakes) bronze thru-hull fittings with Marelon combined thru-hull/seacock fittings.)

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I think the starting point is to price up Blakes replacements, which presumably will just drop in without too much drama. Then price up alternative skin fittings, valves and hose tails, together with details of how much aggravation might be involved in fitting them. You might find that the premium for simple like-for-like replacement becomes attractive.
    This advice is spot-on. The blakes valves, properly fitted and serviced should last 30, 40 years? Mine are 30 years old and still excellent. In fact a previous owner replaced a Blakes head outlet with a Bronze/DZR valve ( I don't know why) which subsequently become permanently stuck open, I paid the yard £400 to replace with new Blakes which I already had. It was expensive because the hole in the hull had to be made smaller !
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    when you say knackered, what do you mean? pitted or dezincified?

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    when you say knackered, what do you mean? pitted or dezincified?
    I mean the inners seem okay but the coach bolts and bronze outer skin fittings are corroded. Can be pulled apart by hand. Since the outer skin fittings are in the region of £70 each I was thinking let’s have done with them and go for reinforced nylon. I know some speak against the marelon or whatever but my first boat had them and I thought they were fine.

As pvb says though, maybe the amount of work needed on the hull might suggest replacing Blake’s with Blake’s.

Thanks for comments above everyone.
    Ps if you haven’t guessed I’m thinking aloud here. I’m happy to be shown the best logic!
    Last edited by Gunfleet; 17-08-19 at 16:59. Reason: Ps

The outer fittings are about £18 a piece here:
    https://www.sparesmarine.co.uk/websh...ks/all-spares/

Anglia stainless have regularly been recommended on this forum for the bolts
    https://www.angliastainless.co.uk/marine-fasteners

discussion about bolts here:
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?210737
    Last edited by RivalRedwing; 17-08-19 at 17:10. Reason: update

Thanks for these leads. The prices in the chandlery are horrendous!

I’m sure you’re right, though at 67 the idea i might be dealing with boat valves in 30 or 40 years is a bit... odd? Anyway, just up the thread I’ve been pointed to sensibly priced sources for the parts. But you know my local chandlery wanted £70 just for one external skin fitting and the coach bolts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast