Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Blake’s replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    I’m sure you’re right, though at 67 the idea i might be dealing with boat valves in 30 or 40 years is a bit... odd? Anyway, just up the thread I’ve been pointed to sensibly priced sources for the parts. But you know my local chandlery wanted £70 just for one external skin fitting and the coach bolts!
    The Blakes supplied coachbolts are made of phosphor bronze, which accounts for their astronomical cost. Sadlers evidently objected to this when building their boats and all the ones I know were fitted with countersunk stainless steel ones instead. Mine have been in place for 35 years now and when last inspected were in perfect condition.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I replaced my heads outlet a couple of years ago with a Blakes again, and refitted it Sadler style. So I still have the bronze bolts and external plate unused...

Found the kits on clearance at Mailspeed Marine if anyone else is interested - - half price-ish

well spotted!

Just a little footnote - contrary to my earlier opinion based on the look of them, the original coach bolts were in good condition and I think had probably been there since the boat was built - 1966. The external ‘washers’ or whatever they are called were on some form of non setting putty. I don’t know if there’s a modern equiv. I suppose I’ll use sikaflex and let the next owner figure out removal for himself.
    Last edited by Gunfleet; 19-08-19 at 23:06.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12