Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tally ho futtocks

A really interesting vid on the production and installation of futtocks in a wooden boat.

Pardon?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Tally ho futtocks

Yes.

Leo works to the highest standard and maintains it consistently.

And to devotees of these videos: don't worry, the parrot does make an appearance eventually!

Mike.

What exactly is a futtock? Is it each of the longitudinal pieces (of the frame) that make a single frame or section of a frame? Is it a middle piece in a frame, if so what are the tops and bottom sections called? If a frame is made in one piece does it have a futtock?
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    What exactly is a futtock? Is it each of the longitudinal pieces (of the frame) that make a single frame or section of a frame? Is it a middle piece in a frame, if so what are the tops and bottom sections called? If a frame is made in one piece does it have a futtock?
    Grown frames, as opposed to bent (steamed) frames, may be single or double. Each section of a grown frame is a futtock. A frame made from a single futtock is a single futtock frame. If a single frame is made of more than one futtock it is a single frame. Leo Goolden is fitting double frames throughout although as built she had some single frames in the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    My old, and etymological, dictionaries just identify it/them as cross-wise timbers. Leo certainly seems to think he has multiple futtocks in a frame. Wikipedia seems to get fixated with "futtock shrouds".

My Penguin Dictionary of Sailing (1961-68) says: " The separate built-up pieces forming a wooden ship's timbers", thus having the idea of composite construction.

Mike.

I enjoyed watching real craftsmen at work, even though I had little comprehension of the technical details. There was a good mixture of accents, I presume itís a British firm?

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    I enjoyed watching real craftsmen at work, even though I had little comprehension of the technical details. There was a good mixture of accents, I presume it’s a British firm?
    It is a volunteer project in Oregon, USA but the boat was built in England (by Stow and Sons of Shoreham, to a design by Albert Strange) in 1911. She won the 1927 Fastnet Race. She had a long career ending up as a fishing boat on the west coast of the USA before being abandoned. She was identified and the Albert Strange Association bought and conserved her when the hulk was threatened with demolition and looked for someone to take her on. Leo Goolden, an English boatbuilder, took on the challenge and has been joined at one time and another by volunteers from all over the place.

The work is being done to the highest standards using conventional methods (almost no glue!).
    Last edited by Minn; 19-08-19 at 18:16.

Pedant mode, sorry.

She was transported from Oregon (I think) - she's now based in Sequim near Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    It is a volunteer project in Oregon, USA but the boat was built in England (by Stow and Sons of Shoreham, to a design by Albert Strange) in 1911. She won the 1927 Fastnet Race. She had a long career ending up as a fishing boat on the west coast of the USA before being abandoned. She was identified and the Albert Strange Association bought and conserved her when the hulk was threatened with demolition and looked for someone to take her on. Leo Goolden, an English boatbuilder, took on the challenge and has been joined at one time and another by volunteers from all over the place.

The work is being done to the highest standards using conventional methods (almost no glue!).

I am impressed by the cutting with the massive band saw of the angles along the frames to allow the 'flat' fit of the planking to the frame.

Looking forward to the planking to see if this is the 'fag paper' accurate fit that Leo seems to aim for.
    RELAX, Rum may not be the answer, but nor is water or juice. Now what is your Question?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast