Thread: Auto pilot

Default Auto pilot

I have an old Raytheon st4000 tiller pilot which I think had had its day.
    Iím looking to upgrade to another with more power etc etc., advice please on a good upgrade?

Default Re: Auto pilot

Suggest you provide some more details to elicit a decent response,ie size of boat, other instruments in use- do you wish instruments to talk to autopilot or is your objective simply to point the boat on desired heading for a couple of hours?
    Andrew

I replaced an old wheelpilot with a Raymarine ev100 last year...........33 ft boat...........so far so good. The motion sensors are more complex than the older systems resulting in less "reactive" steering movements.

Itís a 34í 6.4t fin keeper. Raytheon wind, depth, tri, auto.
    Yes I need it talking to a C 80 or a new plotter on the garage hatch which Iíve not decided on which model as of yet

I replaced my ST4000 with a Raymarine ev200 which has a below deck actuator = expensive but magic! I would highly recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
    I replaced my ST4000 with a Raymarine ev200 which has a below deck actuator = expensive but magic! I would highly recommend it
    Agree, I replaced a "bolt on the wheel" ST4000 with a below decks AP, in my case a rotary drive to a rod steering system with the modern Raymarine electronics: expensive but brilliant, the old system was just about OK for coffee, fenders and heads visit but the new one is quiet, accurate and fuss free and steers better than me! This is in 33 ft heavy long keel ketch.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    Itís a 34í 6.4t fin keeper. Raytheon wind, depth, tri, auto.
    Yes I need it talking to a C 80 or a new plotter on the garage hatch which Iíve not decided on which model as of yet
    Your have options with Raymarine:
    1) Update your cockpit pilot to latest EV100 tiller system - but the tiller drive is (I believe) the same as your existing unit rated at max 6000kg, on upper limit for your boat.
    2) Fit the much more powerful below deck linear drive (rated to 11000kg) and EV200 package.

Both these use the same sensor unit and control head but different course computers. They also both require SeatalkNg cables (Raymarine's version of NMEA2000) for interconnection. The C80 can be connected via Seatalk to SeatalkNg convertor (along with any ST60 instruments), this will allow you to set "track" mode from the C80 (steer to waypoint) directly.

Option 1 is expensive, 2 is very expensive!

I updated a St4000 wheel system to below deck 200 Evo over winter and it is interfaced to my ST60 instruments and C70. I am very pleased, it can hold course close downwind in F5/6 and moderate swell on my 34 foot AWB.