Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Salcombe to Hamble Return Journey

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    steveeasy - what size vessel?
    Twister 28. popping to Dartmouth. set off first thing Tuesday as day breaks. fairer winds, but need to crack on or ill have no wind.

steveeasy

Fair winds, great yacht.

Steve, Iíve found the outside passage easier. I feel I cannot predict arrival time at the inshore passage so instead I go well south and enjoy the longer passage. I have been downtided at St Albans head and once sat it out wide at sea and another time went into Studland. Either way, enjoy your trip. Fair winds.

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    Fair winds, great yacht.
    They say so!!. That was a ride and a half out of salcombe today. I once had a small 60s sprite caravan and I often refer to the inside of a Twister to that, but don't tell other Twister owners I said so, they would be deeply offended. Shes looked after me well though so im happy.

Steveeasy

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Steve, I’ve found the outside passage easier. I feel I cannot predict arrival time at the inshore passage so instead I go well south and enjoy the longer passage. I have been downtided at St Albans head and once sat it out wide at sea and another time went into Studland. Either way, enjoy your trip. Fair winds.
    Thanks Phil. I plan to anchor at Studland and hope to arrive around 1900 hrs. ill have a better idea mid way though. any advice on Studland as ive never been there.

Steveeasy

Have a good trip tomorrow.

We did the same a couple of years ago. Daughter fancied weekend out of London so she got a train to Totnes and taxi to Salcombe. Then sailed with us to Dartmouth and next day to Poole. We dropped her on the quay and she got the train back to London.

I used the way point in reeds, which is about central of the first two buoys of main channel but a bit before them, then turn into the bay. That seemed to work fine for me.

As the Anchorage was crowded and I was arriving at midnight I basically set myself just inside the bay but outside the other boats. Slightly rolly from passing traffic but otherwise fine.

My only tip is to watch for your entrance time Into the Solent. I only had 4 hours before I had to be on my way again.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Steve, I’ve found the outside passage easier. I feel I cannot predict arrival time at the inshore passage so instead I go well south and enjoy the longer passage. I have been downtided at St Albans head and once sat it out wide at sea and another time went into Studland. Either way, enjoy your trip. Fair winds.
    I seam to follow your footsteps. Downtided, not heard that before, I'm glad to say it happened to me today. Of course its so obvious, but we have to succumb to them to know better. Id like to say my trip round Portland went better, but it did not. It was the ride from hell. Little too late and a good wind against tide made for the ride of my life. it was a very calm start to the day, not so round the Bill though.

Steveeasy

I had a good lesson from Neptune a while ago - thought it too late to mention but may help others

Self and non sailor but practical girlfriend in my Anderson 22.

We set off from Dartmouth heading east with a mild SW forecast, having to motor the first few hours.

So I elected to aim for the inshore passage at Portland, had been round there a few times.

So I steered north into the bay to avoid the tide setting south into The Race

- nb this was where they filmed The Cruel Sea as they couldn't find anywhere else rough enough to replicate the mid-Atlantic in midwinter...

Then the wind and following seas began to build - I'd just fitted an Autonic Research windspeed readout, Fiona kept switching it on; as my nerves grew looking at the reading - the inshore passage is said to cease to exist around F6 and this was already way over that, we were already wearing waterproofs and hooked on harness lifejackets with the hatches closed, I'd also quietly pocketed a miniflare pack - I snapped ' turn it off, you'll use up the battery ' as I didn't like the bad news it was saying

We went along Chesil Beach then towards The Race and inshore passage - the horizon was distinctly krinkly by then and I have never been more frightened before or since.

To cut a long story shorter we shot through some very serious overfalls, the A22's rudder authority saved us.

Nowadays I give Weymouth a miss; if going west in calm weather I still don't fancy the inshore passage with lobster pot buoys half underwater and getting pinned by the prop in those tides even with an outboard I can quickly raise from the well, and from the west it's too far to predict the weather as I found out the hard way.

Since then I always go outside The Race, slanting offshore from Studland; St Peter Port can be an enjoyable stop to make a big tack of it.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Steve, I am sorry to hear it was unpleasant. Glad you are safe and no harm done. Did you go outside but to close or were you in the Inshore Passage?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast