Default How to do professional looking whipping

I can do what I regard as a standard whipping of lines. I am not clear how to do the whipping that is on lines bought from Jimmy Green. Can someone point me to instructions on how to do this. Googling whipping gets the wrong type of answers!

Whipping.JPG

Thanks

TudorSailor

Default Re: How to do professional looking whipping

Google
    Sailmaker’s whipping

Loads of examples - all safe

Not so sure about a "sailmakers whipping" on a braided rope.

Grogs animated knots shows how to do it on a 3 strand rope https://www.animatedknots.com/sailmakers-whipping-knot

on a braided rope maybe use a "Palm and needle" whipping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4obJM3gL_Ao

IMHO modern rope can be effectively heat sealed with a gas burner. There is no absolute functional need for any whipping. Whipping can even make it more difficult to mouse and refit your line as the hard end doesn't feed over mast head pulley as easily. Having said that I really enjoy whipping a three strand mooring rope and laying the lines of the fastening strands in each hollow of the rope layup! Modern materials such as Heat Shrink Tubing can also be used as a functional alternative.....
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    IMHO modern rope can be effectively heat sealed with a gas burner. There is no absolute functional need for any whipping. Whipping can even make it more difficult to mouse and refit your line as the hard end doesn't feed over mast head pulley as easily. Having said that I really enjoy whipping a three strand mooring rope and laying the lines of the fastening strands in each hollow of the rope layup! Modern materials such as Heat Shrink Tubing can also be used as a functional alternative.....
    IMHO a fag lighter whipping (as it is sometimes called) can produce a horrible hard end to the line. I'd much rather have a proper whipping on the end of all the lines on my boat. (In fact when I'm on passage, and if I spot an end without a whipping, I'll get the bosuns bag out and put one on to pass the time.). There are very few in any lines on our boat that aren't properly whipped at both ends.

I also think that a whipped line runs easier through a sheave (or round a cleat on the dock when you're slipping a line) etc.

Just my preference I guess.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    IMHO a fag lighter whipping (as it is sometimes called) can produce a horrible hard end to the line. I'd much rather have a proper whipping on the end of all the lines on my boat. (In fact when I'm on passage, and if I spot an end without a whipping, I'll get the bosuns bag out and put one on to pass the time.). There are very few in any lines on our boat that aren't properly whipped at both ends.

I also think that a whipped line runs easier through a sheave (or round a cleat on the dock when you're slipping a line) etc.

Just my preference I guess.
    I agree. I have also seen heat shrink or heat sealed ends fail over time. I am not saying whipping does not fail in time. However easy to do and look smart.

I prefer Sailmakers whipping on three strand; https://www.animatedknots.com/sailmakers-whipping-knot. For mulibraid I use a variant where I do three passes back over the whipping at 90deg angles A bit like here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4EPIaW60fE. I can then use these loops to attach mouse lines if required.

A pair of pliers, needles and proper whipping twine are handy.

re the Braided I do one like this but three passes not two (see image);

https://www.knotandrope.com/products...r-braided-rope

I find whipping a tedious chore but must admit it gives a more durable and usable finish than heatshrink, melting and red-stuff-in-a-pot.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I doubt if this looks professional but I just whipped the end of my new mainsheet; took maybe five minutes. I always put two whippings on:

The rule of thumb is that the whipping should be as long as the diameter of the rope and if you put two on they should be separated by one diameter also.

The ideal way to end a halyard that you want to unreeve and replace with a mouse line in the winter is to point it and add a becket.

See Admiralty Manual of Seamanship volume two:

Works with braid on braid and braid on anything else - just taper the core, make an eye with small stuff, whip the eye to the core, slide the sheath back up to the eye and whip that.
    Last edited by Minn; 18-08-19 at 17:01.