Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default East coast advice...thanks!

Hi,

I am planning a single handed round Britain trip in 2021 in my Hunter 27. She is 27ft, draws 0.7m and has twin keels so can take the ground. I have an inflatable dinghy with outboard. My route is a series of day sails, aiming at 30nm per day with night stops preferably in marinas but also OK on a buoy. Would prefer a buoy than anchoring but can also do that if necessary. So far I have planned from Lossiemouth down the W coast, N. Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Solent. On the journey further east I am struggling a little. So far I am routing Portsmouth along the coast ending up in Southwold or Lowestoft which is where I have run out of options!

The next marinas seem to be on the Humber so what options are there between Lowestoft and Grimsby?

Any suggestions gratefully received
    Thanks
    Rich

Default Re: East coast advice...thanks!

Wells Next the Sea would be the most obvious kinda half way one. A lot more than your 30 miles though, more like 60 odd. Or pick a buoy up at Blakeney, a few miles shorter.
    Last edited by Scala; 18-08-19 at 11:36.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Half way to Wells is a place called Sea Palling. There are a number of artificial breakwaters there that I have seen some folk report (I think on this forum) a successful overnight on a hook. I've not done it myself. It's not your 100% solution and judging by google maps would be untenable in anything from the NW clockwise to SE. However, it might offer to break your distance into a managble chunk and mean you don't have to stem the flood that heads SE against you.

I've also noted (through study not personal experience) that at Wells the flood starts to head East (against you) about 2 hours ahead of LW at the bar. You'll need to go over the bar towards the HW end (those with experience can advise when). This means to exploit an ebb (heading W or NW) during your CCW circumnavigation, you might need to drop a hook along the N coast of Norfolk and wait for the water to rise. All other harbours along the N Norfolk coast are similarly limited.

Repeat - no personal experience, but I've studied that journey a little with an eye to doing it myself. Good luck with your project.

Basically, the east coast from about Whitby to Lowestoft has very few havens. The Humber has Grimsby or the anchorage inside Spurn Head, and Wells has already been mentioned. But thatvstill leaves some stretches much longer than 30 miles.

Id go for more 50/60!mile hops and then a rest period , 30 miles is a days jolly really

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

The North Norfolk harbours are only accessible towards high water and in fair weather. This automatically gives you a tide problem. I’d suggest cutting them out and making a longer passage - you can do thirty hours or so single handed quite easily, I have found.

Thanks for the info all. I missed Wells when i was looking along the coast so will make that a stop. I and doing this for enjoyment and 6 or 7 hrs a day is enough so 30nm maybe up to 40 if I have to but will try to keep it shorter than 9 or 10 hrs. Minn - I am afraid a 30hr stint is not for me!!

If I was going north from Wells would do the long stint to Bridlington if I did not want to stop at Spurn or Grimsby, by the time you’ve got into the Humber you would be part way to Bridlington if you carried on past, 70nm leg

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    ... you can do thirty hours or so single handed quite easily, I have found.
    Unfortunately, many insurance policies restrict singlehanding to 18 hours max.

Quote Originally Posted by richlear View Post
    I and doing this for enjoyment and 6 or 7 hrs a day is enough so 30nm maybe up to 40 if I have to but will try to keep it shorter than 9 or 10 hrs.
    I'm not sure that's really practical for your proposed trip. You need to be prepared to do some longer days, maybe 12-15 hours at times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast