Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mobile Boat Vice

Hi All,

So, problem trying to solve was the need to pin things down when working on bits of the boat. For example removing/sawing anchor chain links. I decided to make a mobile boat vice. The vice was a spare, inherited from I have no idea where. The chopping board was 2nd hand from my wife. The feet were standard rubber feet from ebay (£3.79). Machine screws, nuts/washers I had lying around. I had to order another, thicker, chopping board (£19) as my recycled one was too flexible.

So whilst it was blowing a F8, son and I created this;

boatViceZoomed.png

Slightly over engineered. Some bits of wood and some molegrips might have been simple and easy. Now also has a dyneema carrying handle.

Default Re: Mobile Boat Vice

Definitely handy to have a vise on board. Mine clamps onto the companionway steps together with a benchtop to protect the woodwork.

4D10F78D-DDFF-41BC-B72A-0CC14B1B9032.jpg

Pete

Like your archaic spelling vise/vice. Mines a Parkinson's Perfect Vise https://photos.app.goo.gl/GQKPr3htWfuoLNoh6

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    Like your archaic spelling vise/vice. Mines a Parkinson's Perfect Vise https://photos.app.goo.gl/GQKPr3htWfuoLNoh6
    I am dyslexic!

I have one like that at home. Its a bit big for the boat. Might be more effective at setting than my CQR mind.

I have used a zyliss vice for years and it can clamp on lots of different parts of a boat, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiGY1DCyjXY you can find them on ebay quite cheap nowadays.

Just a clamp- down one, on the bench/chart table/ pilot berth. It has seen a lot of action over the years!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I usually find that a Mole wrench clamped to the pontoon suffices, but I'm not in the habit of reconstructing my boat.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I like the combined work top.

I have a small Forge Steel vice like this one which I've found surprisingly good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forge-Steel.../dp/B00NJSPWMQ

For small items, such as connector pins that need soldering, I use a pair of players with an elastic band to hold them closed.

John

For serious bodgery, we have an old mechanic's vice bolted to a length of scaffold board. We use it in the bottom of the GRP tender, keeps the swarf out of the yacht.
    I also have a market-stall clamp-on swivel vice which lives on board, it can clamp on the companion way steps, or various other places like locker tops. Useful for small work and holding cables while soldering or even ropes while splicing.

Get a boat with a workshop

WkShop..jpg
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast