Default Stowe compatibility?

Hello.
    My masthead wind unit is a Stowe sensor with a 7 pin socket.
    I believe that this unit is possibly interchangeable with one or two other makes/brands.
    If this is correct, does anyone have any information? Perhaps a list of compatible interchangeable units.
    Good luck.

Default Re: Stowe compatibility?

I used to have Stowe instruments; I don't think the masthead unit is compatible with other makes. However, for a definitive answer, get in touch with Stowe Marine - https://www.stowemarine.com/contact.htm

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

I have a stowe/simrad IS11 setup which had a wind transducer like this

When it failed it was replaced with what I think was a IS12 unit. It fitted but would not work until the software in the instrument computer was updated by the agent.

I know the early raymarine mast head units are not compatible ( The wind angle has a different type of sensor)

My understanding is the latter simrad send the NMEA messages direct and not wind speed pulse and 3 phase pot info so the latter simrad will not work either.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

I have a stowe masthead as shown and would be very happy to hear of a suitable replacment that would connect to the Stowe guages, as the anemometer is working fine, but despite fixing the worn bearing in the wind vane, there is a lot of "stiction" in the sensor head internals and it can move quite a few degrees before the sensor decides to change angle.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Have a look here

https://www.stowemarine.com/mastheadunit.htm

I also have somewhere at home the resistance measurements of the 3 phase pot that is used to measure the wind angle.

Will only be home some time next month
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

We can upgrade any existing Stowe MHU by fitting these boards.
    That is interesting .. that would imply that it is possible to dissassemble the Stowe unit and get at the internals .. .I shall have another look at mine this winter ...

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    That is interesting .. that would imply that it is possible to dissassemble the Stowe unit and get at the internals .. .I shall have another look at mine this winter ...
    It is possible; don't know which masthead unit you have but my old Stowe unit had an oiling nipple which. when unscrewed, allowed the innards to be withdrawn.