Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Brittany - advice for a base for 2020 cruise

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    Indeed - plan is to get to Scillies and then to west of Brittany. First stop somewhere in the Brest area. I did this many years ago (30+) and our first stop was Camaret.
    A week should get you to Lorient and a week could get you back with little time for delays or rest. From there you should be able to catch a train or bus to whichever local airport is convenient for the time of week and where you need to get to but expect further travelling in the UK. It may even be better to take an internal flight from one of the local airports to CdG and then a plane or even the shuttle back to the UK. I still think you are pushing the delivery and return a bit.

I have Done La Rochelle from Plymouth in 4 days solid sailing on several occasions and then sailed back up the coast taking anything from 2 weeks to 4 including back to Plymouth so you should given the weather be able to make La Rochelle in a week but it is probably too far. And the best sailing for a short time would be in the Lorient area with the islands as has been mentioned.

Pondering a similar expedition but from Strangford Lough. Propose long weekend to SE Ireland (Dunmore East) to get the boat positioned for long trip. From there its 240 miles (36 hours in a 40 footer?) to Brittany - (120 miles to Scilly Isles) - so depending on crew/weather straight to cruising grounds for 3/4 weeks. For crew swaps, Belfast has daily Easyjet flights to Paris and we would need a 4 hour train to Brittany (Saint-Nazaire). Alternatively Brest-Birmingham-Belfast but that is weekly Flybe and they are so unreliable.

As an alternative to French harbours, could somewhere like Falmouth be an option? Delivery leg to Falmouth, then home. Cruise to France from Falmouth to Falmouth. Then another delivery home.
    Possibly slightly easier travel, though U.K. rail not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    As an alternative to French harbours, could somewhere like Falmouth be an option? Delivery leg to Falmouth, then home. Cruise to France from Falmouth to Falmouth. Then another delivery home.
    Interesting idea, although most places in Devon and Cornwall are probably not dissimilar to get to as France. I know from experience as my company head office is Plymouth and simplest and most reliable travel there from Glasgow is via Bristol.

Genius. I think this is a good plan.
    Plymouth, or Falmouth, can be got to, and from, at leisure and the holiday starts there. An overnight trip to France and you could be in Ile Glenan in three interesting days - depending on the disposition of the enemy.
    Plymouth perhaps for accessibility, choice of moorings and the ferry, should you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    Interesting idea, although most places in Devon and Cornwall are probably not dissimilar to get to as France. I know from experience as my company head office is Plymouth and simplest and most reliable travel there from Glasgow is via Bristol.
    I feel an important business meeting at the Plymouth HQ needs to be scheduled, perhaps for late May or early June 2020?

I feel an important business meeting at the Plymouth HQ needs to be scheduled, perhaps for late May or early June 2020?
    It's amazing how many Friday morning meetings I had in the SW when I kept my boat in Plymouth, they often coincided with Monday afternoon ones as well.

Just come back from Brittany - lovely. But you sound as though you're trying to pack in too many miles by aiming so far south. with time constraints. With bad weather you could be impaled in Brest for some time.

Consider N Brittany coast, reached via Cherbourg and Jersey. St Malo is attractive, the marinas are not. Along the coast St Cast and St Quay are good all tide bases; most others are tide restricted except for the rivers which are packed in high summer. Anchoring almost out of the question.

Most French marinas offer safe storage during trips home, all reasonably priced by UK standards. Local bus services are terrible. Trains ok but be sure of train times - intervals can be long. Buy Tom Cunliffe's Shell Channel guide - first rate.

Intermediate stopover, Jersey, very good with excellent air connections.

Bon Voyage!

PWG

As from Nov 1st all treaties will cease to apply in the absence of a travel agreement.

Therefore all the air links that exist today may not apply next year.

Just a word of caution.

Clyde to SW Brittany and back in 4 weeks depends a lot on the weather. I have sailed twice to Strangford Lough and back (to Lorient) and each time wanted to include a bit of the Scottish Isles. Just not enough time.

PS Just back from Brittany today. On the last two days of sailing in glorious sunshine (Concarneau - Glénan - Lorient) we were visited 6 times by dolphins.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 24-08-19 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    As from Nov 1st all treaties will cease to apply in the absence of a travel agreement.

Therefore all the air links that exist today may not apply next year.

Just a word of caution.

Clyde to SW Brittany and back in 4 weeks depends a lot on the weather. I have sailed twice to Strangford Lough and back (to Lorient) and each time wanted to include a bit of the Scottish Isles. Just not enough time.

PS Just back from Brittany today. On the last two days of sailing in glorious sunshine (Concarneau - Glénan - Lorient) we were visited 6 times by dolphins.
    Thanks, aware Brexit could cause a lot of headaches, not just travel but, for example, will the french harden their position with regards to red diesel. Will have to cross bridges as we get to them.

My last 2 experiences sailing to Brittany were in 1984 and 1987, both trips from strangford. We stopped off at the Scillies and then made camaret for first french port. Great memories, but so much will have changed since then, hence asking for the advice as to best places to base ourselves.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast