Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Brittany - advice for a base for 2020 cruise

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    Planning ahead for summer 2020 as if this is to work I need to begin negotiations well ahead for some extended leave from work

I am based in the Clyde, usually cruise Scotland west coast but plan to cruise to Brittany in summer 2020. Boat is 44' Jeanneau, 2.3m draft. Focus area is SW Brittany. I am weighing up whether to negotiate extended leave (3 - 4 weeks) to allow trip south, 2 weeks there and trip home. However, if I cannot take such an extended break in one go, alternative is trip south, base the boat there for a month or two, flying out for 2 weeks (other family members may use the boat in the interim) then sail the boat home. There seem to be flights to Rennes, then an approx 2 - 3 hour journey to the Brittany coast.

So - what would the suggestions be for a good location to keep the boat if I break the cruise in this way? Would want to keep the cost reasonable, but access to-fro airport would be important also.

Thanks........
    Lots of options already offered, but one that hasn't been (unless I have missed it) is Benodet/Sainte Marine in S Finistere.
    Depends of when you're planning to travel, but in from late May to early September there are direct BA flights from London City to Quimper airport - less than 15km from Benodet/Sainte Marine.

Just my £0.02
    My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
    Lots of options already offered, but one that hasn't been (unless I have missed it) is Benodet/Sainte Marine in S Finistere.
    Depends of when you're planning to travel, but in from late May to early September there are direct BA flights from London City to Quimper airport - less than 15km from Benodet/Sainte Marine.

Just my £0.02
    Lovely place, not much public transport between Quimper and Benodet, just a couple of buses a day and none on Saturday afternoon (ask me how I know) alternative was bus to Pont-L'abbe and an 8km walk to Sainte Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395 View Post
    Lovely place, not much public transport between Quimper and Benodet, just a couple of buses a day and none on Saturday afternoon (ask me how I know) alternative was bus to Pont-L'abbe and an 8km walk to Sainte Marine
    As a temporary base Lorient would be much better.

I looked at this for this season but did not do it in the end. However there is, allegedly, a number 56c which goes between Quimper (train station) and Lesconil passing through Pont l Abbe and Loctudy on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    As a temporary base Lorient would be much better.
    Maybe, but AFAIK there are no longer direct flights (still the fastest mode of travel) from the UK to Lorient.

And surely a taxi from Quimper airport to Benodet (17km) won't break the bank?

Last time we cruised S Brittany we found the Quimper/Benodet combination worked well for us when we had friends/family visiting from Britain.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
    Maybe, but AFAIK there are no longer direct flights (still the fastest mode of travel) from the UK to Lorient.

And surely a taxi from Quimper airport to Benodet (17km) won't break the bank?

Last time we cruised S Brittany we found the Quimper/Benodet combination worked well for us when we had friends/family visiting from Britain.
    Wherever you base the boat you will still waste a day in travelling so it is academic really, and the OP is pushing the envelope with a week delivery two weeks cruise and a week return in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Wherever you base the boat you will still waste a day in travelling so it is academic really, and the OP is pushing the envelope with a week delivery two weeks cruise and a week return in any case.
    Seeing this is the case - 5 weeks is more like it. Will need to see what reaction is to requesting this time from work.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    Or
    Ask someone to deliver it to say benodet etc? There’s quite a few wanting to get their mileage in. Then go from there?
    I don't think I would want my boat delivered by someone ' wanting to get their mileage in". I'd hope they had done that beforehand.
    As stated above, not an impossible schedule but not relaxing. For comparison, I bought my boat in Swansea and it took me 8 days averaging 60 miles per day to get to Golf du Morbihan. And I was blessed with N N Westerlies all the time.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

My son arrived in Quimper at about 1900 then had to stay in a hotel overnight because the public transport to Benodet had stopped for the day and his previous experience of French taxis was the €50 from Caen to Ouistreham. France is great but the public transport in the sticks can be challenging...

Dum vivimus vivamus

Quote Originally Posted by dslittle View Post
    My son arrived in Quimper at about 1900 then had to stay in a hotel overnight because the public transport to Benodet had stopped for the day and his previous experience of French taxis was the €50 from Caen to Ouistreham. France is great but the public transport in the sticks can be challenging...
    That's how I know... it pays to read the timetable very carefully, especially the very small print. We were in St Marine a couple of years ago and on the saturday thought a bus trip to Concarneau sounded good. We got the morning bus from Benodet to Quimper then another bus onwards to Concarneau, where we had a nice day wandering around. Got the bus back to Quimper (most terminate at the SNCF) to discover (when it didn't turn up) that the late afternoon bus to Benodet only runs on school days (yes, the info was in the micro print at the very bottom) After confirmation with another bus driver we boarded his bus to Pont L'abbe and he showed us where to get off ( very helpful - stopped his bus across the road from the lane we had to take) and we walked the 8kms back to St Marine.
    We were quoted "around" 50 to 60 Euros for a taxi - it might not have broken the bank but it would have dented the dining out budget.
    I too was also quoted a similar figure from Caen to Ouistreham but luckily found the 2 euro bus direct to Brittany ferries...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast