Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: 2 persons vs. 8 persons aboard

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    The web site states:
    10 passengers 400 hp and Maximum load (People, Gear, Engine) 1340 kg

A 300hp will weight in around 300kg.

So 8 people x 70kg = 560kg +300kg engine = 890kg + 80kg (8x10g gear) + 400kg (full fuel 400 L) = 1,340kg

So you are at the max load (for the 400hp max) BUT using an engine with 75% of max power.

Other factors:

What is the pitch of your prop?

What is the tachometer reading at (Wide Open Throttle) WOT with low load?
    My propeller is 15 x 14 SS Mercury Enertia.

The RPM is around 5800 at WOT with low load, and was 5500 ~ 5600 with 8 persons aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I imagine the number of people or added weight is for the boat builder to decide. Some boat builders may be more optimistic than others.
    Actually they base it upon weight Martin, they assume 75Kg per male and use their own figures for children, more importantly is the need to read the specifications as they may state up to 4 adults with 6 children at a weight of """""""""".
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjaw View Post
    Yes, I do feel a lot difference of getting on plane with different number of people aboard.

So, what did you do to improve? Moving your passengers as close to the bow as possible?
    putting more weight / people on the bow will improve getting on the plane,
    but
    this will dramatically reduce speed,
    moving weight to the back will increase planing speed

when I was heavy loaded with one of my previous (petrol powered) boats, I asked two people to sit on the bow during acceleration,
    and move to the back at planing speed..

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    The web site states:
    10 passengers 400 hp and Maximum load (People, Gear, Engine) 1340 kg

A 300hp will weight in around 300kg.

So 8 people x 70kg = 560kg +300kg engine = 890kg + 80kg (8x10g gear) + 400kg (full fuel 400 L) = 1,340kg

So you are at the max load (for the 400hp max) BUT using an engine with 75% of max power.

Other factors:

What is the pitch of your prop?

What is the tachometer reading at (Wide Open Throttle) WOT with low load?
    I think you are on the right track RP, a single 300 HP outboard on a full size 28'er with a big/Max load is always going to struggle a bit.
    They say HP sells the boat, but torque is what actually moves it.
    Propping down a couple of inches will help get it up on the plane a little easier, but if it hasn't got the torque throughout the range to drive the extra weight, you won't get performance.

In my opinion, there is a boat which comes with 2 seater as well as 8 seater and has a same configuration at a minimal budget. If you are looking for something like that, then opt for the beachlander or amphibious category. There are many boat manufacturers who tries to make the customer needs fulfill. As far as I know Ocean Craft Marine is one of those which has a wide range of boats for every needs.

Seems odd to me that you loose so much speed but a minimal no of revs I think id be looking at a prop with larger diameter & or bigger blade area or maybe 4 blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Seems odd to me that you loose so much speed but a minimal no of revs I think id be looking at a prop with larger diameter & or bigger blade area or maybe 4 blades.
    So that means "tourque", right?

In fact, I don't have that much chance to take more than 3 persons, so I wonder if I should
    replace my current prop.

Could the prop be slipping a bit on the shaft under high load?

Peter,

You NEED to look at the propeller that you have on the 300hp Verado !!! You are going to do damage to the engine if you are only getting 5500 WOT. You need to be aiming to be 6200rpm minimum. I have changed my Vensura 19” 4 blade for a 17” Rev4 & I am able to run at 6200/6400rpm WOT & I am getting better fuel economy with the same speed performance.

All the best CS.

Quote Originally Posted by cstewart37 View Post
    Peter,

You NEED to look at the propeller that you have on the 300hp Verado !!! You are going to do damage to the engine if you are only getting 5500 WOT. You need to be aiming to be 6200rpm minimum. I have changed my Vensura 19” 4 blade for a 17” Rev4 & I am able to run at 6200/6400rpm WOT & I am getting better fuel economy with the same speed performance.

All the best CS.
    That seems a bit high to me. I think 6000 is optimum. Have you got any spec that says 6200/6400 ?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast