Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Advice on seasickness

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    Scopoderm are excellent if you can take them. They are a psychoactive drug and can cause hallucinations in some people - she needs to try one at home on a day when she can afford to go to bed and sleep it off if she starts seeing pink elephants
    I doubt I could tell if she was Psychotic over normal behavior

She was fine with them, then the thought they were onboard if the going got rough seemed enough. Nearly 10 years on she does not even think about it which backs up what Skip found. I can relate to that too - As a 12 year old I went with my father on the Ramsgate Angling festival local charter boats had a day at sea competing. Moored just off the Goodwind's with a stiff beam wind rolling around I was sick as a dog, the skipper allowed me to lay on the floor in the wheelhouse on the proviso I dashed out if I felt unwell it was a long day never forgotten. In my early sailing life I went expecting to be sea sick because I was before, sure enough I felt unwell. This was until an old training skipper put me on the wheel at the first signs of my gills turning Green and each time during the trip. Since that trip I have never (so far touch wood) suffered with sickness - the mind can play strange tricks.

The Scopaderm patches mostly work for me but not always. Disappointed that I don't get any hallucinations; was looking forward to the back to the 60s experience

Don’t visit every pub in Ramsgate for a couple of beers, go for a curry at closing time, open a bottle of red wine at 02.00 when finally back on the boat and then expect to leave for the Medway at 08.00 in 25 knots of SW without any consequences.

That would just be really, really stupid!

Just FYI +1 for Scopamine patches but they are only available by prescription. I've only discovered them this year... Wish I'd had one on a couple of weeks back, when we got back to the mooring in a 20 kt SE wind over very big (therefore fast) tide... After I'd done my chores head down below decks, I threw up...

My normal "poison" is Stugeron, which doesn't make me dozy, but as a rule spending time below early in the season inures me for the rest of the year. Unfortunately not had that opportunity this year...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Just FYI +1 for Scopamine patches but they are only available by prescription.....
    It's quite true that they are only available on prescription, but our experience is that you can get that prescription very quickly via one of the on-line prescription services. My wife went to our doctor for the first box of patches, but goes on-line these days. The duty GP asks a couple of questions, then issues a prescription with an appropriate warning about possible side-effects.

There is a body of opinion that favours CAT2 type for most of us.

The brain is thrashing around looking for the analogue for the condition that you find yourself in. Sometimes it takes awhile to find the file and run it.

In my case it can be a week but not often more. A week of feeling green and wobbly - fortunately never physically sick. Do struggle once others start.

Anyway, anti histamine works for me in the transition phase.
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

I tried scopadine and put one on the day before my trip, whilst at work. 3 hours later i was laid out flat in the firms sick room being "sea sick".
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Avoidance:

1. Look at the horizon and focus on a ship. If no ships, look at the horizon and focus on trying to locate a ship.
    It takes your mind of the movement of the vessel you are on.

2. Take a session at the helm. The concentration will refocus your mind.

3. Do not eat cheese or other high fat food before going sailing.

Treatment:

1. The shade of a green tree.

2 Strawberry jam. Doesn't necessarily stop sea sickness but it tastes just as good coming back up.

3. I do subscribe to Minn's suggestion : Very simple one: preserved ginger.

If you find you are feeling rather sea sick.
    a) Go to the leeward side and throw up.
    b) You will feel much better almost immediately.
    c) Then wash your mouth out wait CocaCola.
    d) Not mouthwash, as this has a slightly different effect. DAMHIK
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 19-08-19 at 18:53.
    RELAX, Rum may not be the answer, but nor is water or juice. Now what is your Question?

For my wife the answer was seabands. Stugeron can make some people very drowsy so treat with caution.
    Get your wife to be confident on her own in the cockpit while you make the tea. Calls of nature are of course an issue. Kalms work for a friend of mine and do not make him drowsy (he still expects me to make the coffee even on his boat).
    At least it's progress Ron.
    Not all who wander are lost

Thank you all for the great advice.

My wife plans to drug up and come along for a sail. We’ll see how it goes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast