Thread: Wnkle Brig 16

Default Wnkle Brig 16

Thinking of buying one. Any thoughts/experience ?

Default Re: Wnkle Brig 16

Indeed, had one for some years, sailed on Rudyard, Windermere, Rutland, Chichester, when the children were small. You mean one of these?

CH015 by dralowid, on Flickr

A clever design and much loved but not exactly quick, or even moderately paced. Topsail is fun, plenty of rope!

Thats it. Just looking for a weekender around the East Coast.

Twin centreboards make for more space inside, four berths, porta potti, limited cooking facilities, all in 16ft. Quite heavily built (well we thought so). (we used a trolling motor on lakes). Thinking about it we were very fond of her and it was easy to forgive performance (or lack of it). If you are a scow sailor your natural competitiveness might find you getting impatient. Needed to go with the tide in Chichester.

Now that my ambitions have reduced I like the idea of getting one again!

There are two versions, latter ones have a higher cabin and a bit less wood.

There was a YM group trailer-sailer test including the Winklebrig (late 1980s, or early 1990s?*). Unfortunately I think YBW no longer supply copies of old articles, but perhaps someone on the forum has a copy.

The test included 4 or 5 other craft including a Shrimper and sporty Dutch open dayboat about 20' (name beginning with a C?) If I recall correctly they said the Winklebrig was nice, but its sailing performance (speed and close-windedness) wasn't as good as the Shrimper and other boats. I think it did say that there was also an open dayboat version of the WInklebrig available.

p.s. *Looking for something else I came across a reference which said 'Practical Boat Owner magazine reviewed a group of 19 ft trailer sailers in July 2001'. I don't know if that's the group test I (mis)remembered.
    Last edited by LittleSister; 20-08-19 at 12:44. Reason: Added p.s.

Shrimper 19 or Memory 19 better sailing boats for roughly the same money. Accommodation is limited on all of these compared to (say) a Leisure 17 - I know, I have a Shrimper and the bruises!