Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: So what has gone wrong this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    hi guys, is there a common denominator here? Age? or maybe not? Can you guys share the age of your boat ? Im a newbie, and im finding it hard to digest that a newish boat but we as problamatic as and old one, yet maybe it is.so how old are your boats guys?
    We have a 2018 boat and are in our second season. We had an initial snagging list, the most major was a sticking thermostat (30 mins to replace by engineer) all else minor, adjusting cupboads, small shower leak etc.
    Since then we have had no issues (jinx now in place !!).
    Components on new boats can malfunction but you are obviously not going to have any wear and tear issues for some time.

We did however catch a lazyline at a visiting marina which was by far the most stressful 90 mins of my boating career.

not admitting anything......... but which genius at Princess put the water tank filler right next to the diesel tank filler ?

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    J. you do understand that you're pushing your luck with a post like that mid season, right?
    Positively +1.
    I can't wait for Aug to come to an end, and the hoi polloi (including some with their superyachts!) to return to their busy lives.
    Sep and Oct are THE boating season, imho.
    So, ask again in Nov!

Meanwhile, I see that floating switch failures are always a popular subject, so I will reiterate this previous post.
    A clear cut case of industrial equipment being MUCH more reliable than anything with "nautical" on its label!

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Perhaps when you are next on the boat you could be kind enough to take a pic. I am thoroughly fed up with these bloody things. Thanks
    You're in luck, I've found a pic.

This is what I have. It's been utterly reliable (touch wood) and hasn't even clogged up....

https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pu...ump-system.htm

I've no idea what was there before.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by NGM View Post
    We did however catch a lazyline at a visiting marina which was by far the most stressful 90 mins of my boating career.
    That usually means sending in a diver. How did you get free?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    That usually means sending in a diver. How did you get free?
    Yep eventually a diver to free it.

We caught the lazy line and also the ground line, the lazy line sliced so we didn't notice the snag until we had turned out of the berth, then off course we were stuck with no power and drifting. After what seemed a lifetime of fendering off and lines attached everywhere we got the diver and pulled ourselves back to the berth. Luckily it was loosely wound and no apparent issues, we'll get thoroughly checked next lift.

We're so careful with the lines and couldn't believe we had caught one until later when I realised the issue. The regular berth holder had taken the slack from the lazy line and tied it to one of the round fenders protecting the berth wall. I can inly presume he got fed up pulling up excessive length of dirty lazy line so he adjusted it according to his boat. Our gear was obviously lower and we snagged - my fault for not checking the line wasn't dropping vertically from the dock. Lesson learnt !
    The marina tried to hit us with a meaningful bill for repairs to the ground lines until we showed them the set up - we settled on paying for the line only, plus of course the diver.

We managed to snag a ground line last year - a great start to our Med mooring experience. Marineros sped round with their dinghy to hold us still whilst I lifted the leg and unwrapped it.

No damage other than to my pride!

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    We managed to snag a ground line last year - a great start to our Med mooring experience. Marineros sped round with their dinghy to hold us still whilst I lifted the leg and unwrapped it.

No damage other than to my pride!
    Funny enough, in the millions of threads on how evil stern drives are, it’s rarely mentioned how grateful you are when the prop becomes entangled

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Funny enough, in the millions of threads on how evil stern drives are, it’s rarely mentioned how grateful you are when the prop becomes entangled
    Bouba, I take it you've had a similar experience?

In my case, it was a pretty chunky rope and I was manoeuvring on tickover so it just stalled the engine. Naturally a crowd of onlookers soon gathered.

I lifted the drive and it was pretty easy to untangle it from the props (lying on the bathing platform). Checked that the props were turning freely, which they were, gave the crowd the thumbs up, let the marineros push me into the berth and opened a beer.
    Last edited by petem; 20-08-19 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Bouba, I take it you've had a similar experience?

In my case, it was a pretty chunky rope and I was manoeuvring on tickover so it just stalled the engine. Naturally a crowd of onlookers soon gathered.

I lifted the drive and it was pretty easy to untangle it from the props (lying on the bathing platform). Checked that the props were turning freely, which they were, gave the crowd the thumbs up, let the marineros push me into the berth and opened a beer.
    No, but I’ve seen it often enough! However once I was maneuvering into a tricky dock and made a balls up so I thought I’d just go out and try again. But I didn’t realize that I was trailing my mooring line in the water. Somebody shouted a warning just as my prop ate the line. Luckily it was an outboard and I raised it and removed the line without fuss. Otherwise I would have been adrift in a very busy port.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast