Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: So what has gone wrong this year ?

my fuel & water tank keep need refilling but oddly my bilges are dry so not sure where those go. Oh, and I am sure someone is steeling my beer & wine.

Apart from that, all good.

Valve clearances for me too....quite enjoyed it once I figured out what “on the rock” meant.
    New fresh water pump
    Gave up trying to make engine gauges digital and went back to standard
    VHF broadcasting is weak despite new aerial/cable and trying with direct power supply. Garmin super helpful as usual and looking at the unit as I type.

1. Shower sump pump failed
    2. Engine has loss of power
    3. Shower sump pump failed
    4. Shower sump pump failed

Think that's about it

Ps, anyone know if such a thing as a reliable shower sump unit exists?
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Adjusted the valve clearance with a mate .
    Was quite taperty before now a lot quieter.Ive put over 400 hrs on in 4 seasons so thought it needed doing .
    Not difficult, but more of a phaff sliding the feeler gauge under the exhaust valve buckets and a bit cerebral working out which were at TDC .
    did you experience that a lot of adjustment was needed ?
    I was adviced from the MAN guy who did the rebuild in Montenegro approw 500hrs ago, to do the same (with a mate)
    can"t be too difficult just a lot of faffing,

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    1. Shower sump pump failed
    2. Engine has loss of power
    3. Shower sump pump failed
    4. Shower sump pump failed

Think that's about it

Ps, anyone know if such a thing as a reliable shower sump unit exists?
    We've owned our boat for over two years now and despite showering on it have never had a shower sump pump fail. I'm afraid I don't know what model is it but I do know that the PO changed the original one for a more reliable type.

So good ones do exist!

Put the boat up for sale expecting a slow sale the broker had a buyer sitting waiting !
    We had decided to retire gracefully before health caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Vas is right. I’m not tempting fate by answering
    Yep, +1 to that. Ask again after October!

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    We've owned our boat for over two years now and despite showering on it have never had a shower sump pump fail. I'm afraid I don't know what model is it but I do know that the PO changed the original one for a more reliable type.

So good ones do exist!
    Perhaps when you are next on the boat you could be kind enough to take a pic. I am thoroughly fed up with these bloody things. Thanks
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    did you experience that a lot of adjustment was needed ?
    I was adviced from the MAN guy who did the rebuild in Montenegro approw 500hrs ago, to do the same (with a mate)
    can"t be too difficult just a lot of faffing,
    Mostly exhaust s , they get hottest .
    One engine had 2 inlet and 4 exhaust out .
    Other had 1 inlet and 3 exhaust out .
    My mate suggested using a stethoscope to hear which are the noisiest first and just do those .He said they all wonít need doing .It just takes a few to be out .***
    Anyhow it was no trouble taking the caps off them all 12 in all and checking a 24 valves .
    So with a 6 bank thereís two rocker arms , one for the inlet , one for the exhaust.
    Itís a 4 valve head but the single rocker arm has a bridge covering the two valves .
    The exhaust one is bit deeper to insert the feeler gauge and thereís a tiny bucket to lift up .
    With the ď rocker method ď you need a mate to turn the engine using a 32 mm socket with a 1m long bar on the crank vibration pulley at the front .
    You donít need new valve cover gaskets as the OEM are a combo of metal / rubber and sit in a groove on the head .They appear to be made for many on / off cycles .
    The caps simply unscrew to take off and simply pop back on and tighten up .

Next time you are in the ER take a 14 mm socket and whip a valve cap off and take a look .
    You need a hex to adjust and iirc a 14 mm ring spanner to slacken off the adjuster lock nut .

*** itís not a metal fatigue issue as they open with time hence the TAP sound increases .
    No itís a performance issue .
    Really the final fraction of a seconds during valve closure in a 16/18 to 1 or high compression engine is vital .
    Too late and gas escapes or to early same = power loss .
    You donít get the same dramatic power loss with slight valve miss timing in a lower compression say petrol car or lawnmower at 8/9 to 1 .
    But power loss is exponentially increases the further up the comp ratio goes .

In effect you are tuning the thing up to near OEM new Hp rating .
    Yes it does sound quieter too ,buts that just a side effect not the real reason for doing it .

Worth while in a planning boat with all the variable seasonal happenings attempting to rob it useable Hp that can be translated into fwd motion .
    Last edited by Portofino; 19-08-19 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Perhaps when you are next on the boat you could be kind enough to take a pic. I am thoroughly fed up with these bloody things. Thanks
    I have posted before that how something so simple can go wrong so often and be totally unrepairable to boot I cannot understand.

I used to fix them and 48 hours later they would go wrong again. I don't bother now I just buy a new one. I think the float switches object to being immersed in shampoo! The last time in Palma this was wallet busting E250 as I recall. Only £100 ish in the UK but of course I need it NOW!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast